Using a liquidiser... or blender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a liquidiser... or blender

using a blender, pectolayse, and making a mush with soft peeled canned fruit.........

is this possible on tinned fruit? to blend into a mush, like apricots, and produce with the other ingredients, ie grape juice etc in a primary, and then airlock and ferment without straining out until dry?

I suppose I can answer my own question... never heard of it before... difficult to get the fruit (gross lees) out of the must, right?, even with sieves etc so if we leave it in? Blended? from tins? are they sterile? I think so.

will the fruit oxidise? or if kept under airlock even if mushed like pineapple juice with all the pith, will it oxidise? and is it possible to make an easy wine?

the reason I ask is that I would like to make a wine with a full body, something that is eluding me at present, but I am only a six month wine maker, so excuse my inexperience...

uff

I think you are just going to end up with more difficult stuff to strain out by liquidising plus if using fruit you are going to break the seeds releasing unwanted compounds (tannins?).

Using tinned fruit I think most of the flavour is in the juice anyway its just the "texture" that is left for the "punters"..sorry! consumers!.

recently bought some tinned strawberrys Twesco' there were SIX strawberry's in the tin but the juice (I guess?) tasted of strawberrys.Needles to say I will be returning them!h and also a tin of cherries from Sainsbury's 20 cherries in A TIN ....=£1 a tin =5p a Cherry I think not!

If you use a decent yeast i just started using Lalvin yeast I found that it stripped everything from the fruit eg. a sultana still looked like one but after a few days fermenting when I crushed it between my fingers it was just a shell.As for the blackberries there was no fruit left just a lot of seeds.No juice or tin!
    Last edited by plonky; 28-03-2009, 04:51 AM.

Comment

The theory sounds good...but I think you will end up with to much gunk in the bottom of your dj. You may find it difficult to clean when you rack your wine off, and need much water for topping.
      Just my opinion.
      Hootus est

Comment

You need that pulp out at around an SG of 1.020 to 1.010

Leaving the pulp (gross lees) in there longer could lead to troublesome smells and off flavours. (no matter how sterile it was at the start)

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

straining bag investigation and ideas please

Thanks for all the great advice,

I tried the liquidiser on some apricots, but I think it makes the procedure more hassle than its worth, so my next burning question is....

Is it possible to get a straining bag type of thing with a pull string top, you know like the plastic bin liners, so you can put in your soft fruit, pull to close the top, tie it in a loose knot, and squash away lightly in your fermenting bucket.

And when its fermenting dunk it up and down like a giant fruity tea bag? And remove at 1020 -1010 leaving no big old pulpy bits to fight over?

I have never seen these in the HBS...only straining bags with open tops that when you try to tie the top makes for a hugh knot that always seems to undo at the moment of dunking....

Do let me know what all your methods are, there could be room for a cottage industry on these items!

Thanks all....

Comment

There sure is straining bags
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

There is indeed a cottage industry in these items

see cottager here

I use a straining bag, it just makes life easier, you can see it in use in the wine No 3 tutorial
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

OOOO

a simultaneous posting.....

how was it for you?
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

yes very good.... however my question was do they have a drawstring? I suspect not as I already have these...

if Mr Duffbeer can source a supplier with a drawstring I will purchase!

Comment

Try this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/jelly-stra...duct/3809_3810 It hasn't got a drawstring but the top is elasticated and the stand holds it very firmly even with 4-5lbs fruit in it. Bit pricey but I've had mine for ages and used it loads of times for wine and jam making and it's not worn at all. They also do spare bags anyway.
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I have ones with a drawstring, and I'm pretty sure they came from an HBS or Ebay, but I can't remember which one...

Try searching Ebay for jam making, or fruit straining....
                        HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Thanks I'll go check it out....

Comment

I use a blender to make a fruit mush. I put the pectolase in with the fruit prior to blending, give it a whizz, then into the primary.
                            Using a jelly bag (straining bag), I dont have problems with straining. I dont squeeze every last drop out, just what runs freely through the bag pluss a quick, light squeeze. Any more and the gloop starts coming through.

The reason I do it like this is becuase it exposes much more of the fruit to the enzyme and water for a greater amount of flavour extraction. I can thus afford to be a little wasteful when it comes to the straining.

The peach wine you mentioned in your opening post works very well put through a blender. IIRC, I've strained this with a seive and it works just fine.

I rack as soon as a gross lees (a first heavy sediment) settles, this is probably heavier than perhaps it would be if I just mushed with a potato masher or by hand. Then another racking when fermentation is complete as usuall.

Having said that, the peach blush I make often drops clear so fast there's no point in racking of the gross lees then again at end of fermentation.
                            Last edited by james; 31-03-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              There is indeed a cottage industry in these items

see cottager here

This website is for sale! hobbywinesupplies.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hobbywinesupplies.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I use a straining bag, it just makes life easier, you can see it in use in the wine No 3 tutorial
                              Hum?

does your "cottager" go cottaging ? Bob, if so, we must be told

Cottaging - 1 reference result

Cottaging is a British gay slang term referring to anonymous male-male sex in a public lavatory (a cottage or tea-room), or to the practice of cruising for sexual partners in public lavatories with the intention of having sex elsewhere. The term may have its roots in the English cant language of Polari, or in the fact that many self-contained English toilet blocks have in the past resembled small cottages in their appearance.
                              The term "cottage" used in this sense is predominantly British (a cottage in the usual sense being a small, cosy, countryside home), though the term is occasionally used with the same meaning in other parts of the world. Among gay men in America, lavatories used for this purpose are called tea rooms.

Or perhaps he's a "Fulham" supporter (if so, we should still be told )

regards

JtFB
                              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X