recipe suggestions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recipe suggestions needed.

Hi ther i was wondering if anyone can come up with a recipe from the following ingredients,

290g tinned raspberries in fruit juice
    290g tinned blackberries in fruit juice
    1lb asda raisins in veg oil, not sure if i can use them?
    5lb fresh strawberries
    1l red grape juice freshly pressed

Any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by thunda_600; 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM.

Not sure about a recipe, but in regards the oil , I had the same issue with some banana chips, I soaked in a fairly warm water, several times and this reduced the amount, still some left which stayed around until second racking. Can't say it was detrimental. cant say it wasn't.

Comment

I now have 5lbs of fresh strawberries. i'll maybe leave the raisins out although i was wanting to try and get a recipe for a fuller bodied red.

I have 2 x 5 litre dj's so i'm thinking maybe i could get a recipe for making up just over 2 gallon in my large bucket then splitting into the 2 dj's.

sorry if i put this in the wrong section, i probably should have put it in the fruit wine making section.

would the 1l pressed grape juice, 290g of rasps and 290g of blacks plus a pound of strawbs with sugar added to 1.080 be an ok gallon of wine to make ?
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-04-2009, 11:07 AM. Reason: Merged multiple posts into one

Comment

Thunda
        when you wish to add something to a previous post, you can click the edit button.....

please dont post message after message in the same thread...

I have merged all of the posts, and moved the thread to the fruit wine making section.

If you wash the raisins thoroughly then you can use them, just be prepared for a little scum on the surface of the wine...it wont kill it, but if you allow too much it will taint the wine a little.

all of those ingredients together may be a little too much all in one wine.

I would use the blackberries and raisins together perhaps

and a seperate batch using the strawbs, and rasps

each time adjusting the SG to 1.080.

You may wish to comnsider the addition of body to the big red, by means of additions of blackcurrants (tinned, canned or juiced) or grape concentrate as opposed to grape juice.

I make my big reds in the Autumn when the elderberries and grapes are ripe.

pick lots this year and freeze them, elderberries are just fab.

join virtual wine circle for video tutorials on how to get the best out of your fruits.

read the tutorial in the resources section regarding the making of fruit wines, tons of help and ideas in there.

perhaps we should have a tutorial on formulating recipes?

anyone think thats a good idea?

anyone fancy volunteering?

(im busy with the VWC video shooting and editing right now)
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks lockwood and sorry about all the posts!

I think a formulating recipe tutorial would be a great idea, its easy enough following a recipe but formulating is a different kettle of fish.

Comment

Originally posted by thunda_600 View Post
            Thanks lockwood and sorry about all the posts!
            no probs, just wanted to flag it up

but formulating is a different kettle of fish.
            you cant make wine from either kettles....or fish!

Recipe formulation tutorial is on the to do list (hoping to get someone else to do it, as im busy with the VWC project right now)
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Hey Thunda,

One Newby to another so big caveat I know nothing

I haven't really followed a recipe yet, free spirited rebel etc ... I've made up recipes based on basic recipes and advice here.

There is probably different approaches depending whether you are scientific or bung-it-in-and-see-what-happens type of person.

I think as long as you follow the technical sequence and approximate volumes you can ferment any combination.

I'm on the basic fruit at the mo but I'm experimenting with spices next. It's fun but I'll expect a couple of disasters on the way!

Pam

Comment

Watch out for VWC video tutorial on making wine from unusual stuff, from the queen of "unusual" wines (for example, cabbage wine )...Martina
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Oh my Gawd!

Surely cabbage wine has got to be worse than parsnip!?
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                    Oh my Gawd!

Surely cabbage wine has got to be worse than parsnip!?
                    Nah! It'd probably be fine, as long as you have the engineering fitted for gas powered electricity *

regards

JtFB

* - like a landfill
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X