Fruit and Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit and Alcohol

i want to make some fruit wine, like peach maybe (tinned), so would it be better to ferment with the fruit in the primary, the secondary or make the wine and then add the fruit and let the alcohol remove the flavour?. using these three methods would i end up with three different tasting wines?
    Pesky Pensioner, gets to the fruit before whiney workers. ook

You will indeed get three quite different wines.....

I suspect the earliest drinker and likely the fruitiest would be option 3 fruit in at the end.

the one requiring the longer ageing will be the pulp ferment in primary.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by rantan View Post
      i want to make some fruit wine, like peach maybe (tinned), so would it be better to ferment with the fruit in the primary, the secondary or make the wine and then add the fruit and let the alcohol remove the flavour?. using these three methods would i end up with three different tasting wines?
      If I could have found where I've put my "tinned and canned fruit wines" book I could have given you a recipe.....

I'd guess that the exact ingredients and method are up to you but don't forget the different levels of sugar between fruit in juice and fruit in syrup (both light syrup and heavy syrup)....... your hydrometer is your friend.......

I'm wondering what the "base wine" would be if you take "option 3", what ? Make a peach wine and then put an extra tin of peaches in it after ferment ? or something like that ???

Sounds excellent....... erm, don't forget the pectolase....

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Option 3 would be likely a plain white wine (wine No1 for example)

then extract the peach from the fruit via alcohol.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of version 3. I could make a No1 and then flavour it with fruit or what i call a sugar wine, sugar acid tron water yeast and let the fruit soak in that after fermenting has finished.
          thoughts, suggestions, abuse, derision.

Comment

Originally posted by rantan View Post
            thoughts, suggestions, abuse, derision.
            All of the above

However, wine No1 then steeping the fruit would work well....very well in fact

(make a 2nd gallon, as you will only need 1 tin per gallon if using it after ferment is over)
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I'm trying something similar at the moment - the juice from a tin of Goosberries in an already-fermented gallon of Wine No.1.

I didn't bother with the fruit solids, figuring that most of the flavour would already be in the juice.

It went hazy after the addition of the juice - sorted with a tsp or so of Pectolase.

So far, so good.
              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

if i soaked the fruit in a finished No1, how long should it stay there. are we talking days, weeks, months?

if i had put pectolase in when i first made the No1, would i need to put in more for the fruit?

and lastly, if you only need half the fruit, perhaps we should not use this method as it would be bad for the fruit farmers and the economic climate
                or should we use this method on fruits that come from a long way to help save the planet from global warming, but then if the climate warmed up we could grow the tropical fruits here

help i'm confused (again)

Comment

Working...
                X