Plums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plums

I found a cherry tree near our local Lidl last week and collected a couple of kilos of cherries from it. I went back yesterday to pick some more and discovered that right next to it was a massive wild plum tree that was absolutely covered in small, slightly overripe fruit. How I missed this last week I have no idea. I spent a good hour and picked nearly 8kg of plums

I made plum wine last year from Jack Keller's recipe using six punnets of reduced Co-op plums, it turned out pretty well. But I was thinking, if it was 8kg of apples I'd make cider, so I had a crazy idea... Plum Cider! However a touch of googling turned up virtually nothing, and I imagine there is a reason why. I believe that plums are very high in acid, would 100% plum juice be just too acidic?

I could just make two gallons of wine using last year's recipe, which wouldn't be a waste. I just thought that it would be interesting to try something different.

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
    I found a cherry tree near our local Lidl last week and collected a couple of kilos of cherries from it. I went back yesterday to pick some more and discovered that right next to it was a massive wild plum tree that was absolutely covered in small, slightly overripe fruit. How I missed this last week I have no idea. I spent a good hour and picked nearly 8kg of plums

I made plum wine last year from Jack Keller's recipe using six punnets of reduced Co-op plums, it turned out pretty well. But I was thinking, if it was 8kg of apples I'd make cider, so I had a crazy idea... Plum Cider! However a touch of googling turned up virtually nothing, and I imagine there is a reason why. I believe that plums are very high in acid, would 100% plum juice be just too acidic?

I could just make two gallons of wine using last year's recipe, which wouldn't be a waste. I just thought that it would be interesting to try something different.
    Well, how about making it a plummy apple cider ? i.e. it the plums are too acidic, then just use cheap apple juice to make 2 gallons but just ferment it like cider. So the juice of 4kg of plums and then topped up with cheap/sweet apple juice ?

Dunno what it'd taste like but, what the hell, if the fruit was free, then there's very little wasted or lost.....

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

That's an interesting idea. I made a gallon of cider from some Lidl apple juice earlier this year and it was, to be frank, quite horrible. I don't yet know what the difference between using supermarket juice and home-pressed juice from local apples, as I made a gallon of that and it was delicious. Apart from the origins of the juice, the only difference was time - the cider from apples was left from November last year until a month ago; the supermarket juice cider from January to April. I am toying with the idea of making a gallon of supermarket cider and leaving it as long as the cider from picked apples, but I'm not sure what the point is.

I might keep the plums in the freezer until the autumn and use your idea but substitute the juice from freshly pressed apples for the supermarket juice.

Comment

Working...
      X