Greengage Kernals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greengage Kernals

With the glut of fruit on my neighbours tree, were on to our second small batch of greengage wine, looking for jam recipes we encountered the concept of cracking the stone to extract the kernel and adding the kernel to the jam. It imparts a slight mild almond hint to it.

Could this be carried over into a wine?

Everything I have done to this point in winemaking is based on avoiding the stones cracking due to concerns over the content being at the least bitter, and at worse poisonous

hmmmm
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Everything I have done to this point in winemaking is based on avoiding the stones cracking due to concerns over the content being at the least bitter, and at worse poisonous

hmmmm
      I'm the same, but the original reference is in the great Marguerite Patten’s Jams, Preserves and Chutney. (The wifes bible), I checked a few more recipes and found the same. Could not find it for Plums though ?

I'm don't think I'll try it, never know what the yeasties will do with it. However did find that pressed plum kernels make the in vogue vegetable oil "Plum seed oil is a speciality oil from south west France pressed from seeds of d'agen prune plums "
      Last edited by Pyrosfx; 18-08-2009, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Clafoutis aux Cerises is a french custard tart made with cherries. You are supposed to put the cherries in stones and all, however, as most people would rather not have to eat their way around the stones and avoid expensive dentistry bills, many stone the fruits and then add some almonds to replace the lost flavour that the stones would have imparted.

I imagine that the same might apply to grengages and you'd get the almondy taste.
        A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

any Prunus species will impart a bitter almond flavour via its kernel. This is often good in a jam, but I very much doubt it would be beneficial to wine.

Having said that, Prunus stones tend to be very, very hard. You need to crack open the stone to get at the kernel (I use a nut cracker or a hammer when making jam). Only the kernel tastes of bitter almond. The stone itself is inert, so you can add as many stones as you like without any effect, just so long as the kernels are not in contact with the wine.

Comment

Working...
          X