Pomegranate wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks

Thats kind of what my reading indicates also. I have managed to get the SG to 1.050 down from 1.120. I'm prepping a Lalvin K1-V1116 to force a 2nd ferment to dryness. Should I move the gallon to a carboy? It is in a 6.5 gal. primary right now with a cover. I should add that this has been in the primary 10 days today and I have diluted and added yeast nutrient two days apart in the last 5 days which seems to be moving the ferment along but very slowly. I'm thinking the Lalvin will finish to dryness. My first ferment was started with a Lalvin 71B.

Paul

Comment

Lalvin clain the 71B 1122 will ferment to 14% and the K1-V1666 to 18%

I have fermented the 71B to 16.5% and i think it would have gone further if any residual sugar had been left but we had reached .990

I would wait to transfer to carboy till S.G. is at around 1.020 to 1.010

your starting S.G. of 1.120 if fermented to dry (S.G. 0.990) will give you an alcohol content of 17.66% so you should be able to do it with the 71b, hang in there before adding another strain of yeast.
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 21-02-2006, 12:36 AM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

the pom got moved to a carboy!

Managed to hit 1.020, but there was an awful smell this morning, like rotted meat or cow dung. I added a campdent tablet and the smell seemed to be toned down. Transferred to the carboy and that must smelled like must. Then cleaning out the fermenter I had left the barley in the juice for 2 weeks. Next time I need to add the boiled barley and sugar water through my bag and remove the barley after a day or two. The recipe doesn't mention that but it seems reasonable, in hindsight.

Comment

I would leave out the barley next time and use plenty of yeast nutrient.
          REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
          X