Yeast strains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast strains

After my struggles with the blueberry I've re-read a bit of info (imagine that - reading the instructions!) and realized proofing the yeast is important. I have a concentrate of gooseberry that I'd like to get started and the instructions on the can state that it is possible to make 3 - 5 gallons depending on fruit flavor, etc. I'm thinking 4 gallons, split the difference, I'm making stuff up as I go.

I purchased a variety of Lavlin's and still the Red Star Montrachet. Would I be committing some winemaking sin by mixing a different yeast in each gallon separately? I'm thinking 4 1-gallon carboys with a different yeast. Is there a particular yeast I should avoid for gooseberry?

I have Lalvin 71B-1122; Lavlin K1-V1116; Lavlin EC-1118; and the Montrachet already mentioned.

Sounds like a very good experiment. You should learn by tasting as you go through each step, observing activity such as foaming amount, and by recording dates, temps, SG's, ph, etc. at each racking or step.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
      After my struggles with the blueberry I've re-read a bit of info (imagine that - reading the instructions!) and realized proofing the yeast is important. I have a concentrate of gooseberry that I'd like to get started and the instructions on the can state that it is possible to make 3 - 5 gallons depending on fruit flavor, etc. I'm thinking 4 gallons, split the difference, I'm making stuff up as I go.

I purchased a variety of Lavlin's and still the Red Star Montrachet. Would I be committing some winemaking sin by mixing a different yeast in each gallon separately? I'm thinking 4 1-gallon carboys with a different yeast. Is there a particular yeast I should avoid for gooseberry?

I have Lalvin 71B-1122; Lavlin K1-V1116; Lavlin EC-1118; and the Montrachet already mentioned.
      Hi Paul I am new here, but have been making various wines for a number of years now.So if you are useing Vitners harvest, I have done a number of there fruit wines, love their marion berry the best/ and found it best for more body and full flavor to make 3 gallon batches. They do turn out pretty good too that way. I generaly use the yeast recommended by them as they have tested them useing that perticular yeast.
      Just my humble opinion. Tom
      "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
        Would I be committing some winemaking sin by mixing a different yeast in each gallon separately? I'm thinking 4 1-gallon carboys with a different yeast.
        In My opion NO.
        THat's How you find the things, and ways you have good results with
        Or bad so you try not to repeat them.
        http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Working...
        X