Yeast able to ferment at 4 deg C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast able to ferment at 4 deg C

Right folks, Got a good one for you here.
    I pressed some Conference Pears about 14 days ago. Put some in two off 2 litre PET bottles (Previously sterilised) & added 5 ml 10% Sulphite to each. I put the bottles in the Fridge.
    Last weekend I checked on the bottles which were laid on their sides & found one of them to be fermenting. The other bottle was still OK. I tried releasing the Gas by slowly opening the cap but it was like a volcano. I closed the cap & put into the freezer. Even when it was Frozen it was like a volcano. But slowly it died down.
    I have never come across a yeast that can start at Fridge Temps.
    I checked the Fridge thermometer & it was at 4 deg.C
    Have I found a new Yeast that might be worth using? Or is it just another wild rogue yeast.
    Any body got any idea?

Silverfox

That's not unusual at all. Some of these wild yeasts are very robust. Two years in a row I've purchased Viognier juice from a local distributor, and two years in a row it's been fermenting when I picked it up, despite the fact that they transport and store this juice at 35 F (1.7 C).

Last year I added sulphite and froze it, then thawed and added my own yeast. This year I just let it go with the native yeast, and it turned out fabulous.
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 25-10-2009, 10:00 PM.
    Steve

Comment

Bad luck Paul, you've not discovered the Fabulous Freezing Fermenting Yeast yet...
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Working...
      X