Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using up the last of the foraged fruit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using up the last of the foraged fruit...

Evening All..

Just mooching around my freezer today and I have about 4lbs damsons, 2 lbs sloes (picked late in the season up here, so sweeter rather than astrigengt) and about 4lbs elderberries. I have already ot 5G of 'hedgerow' wine aging with similar ingredients started in September when fruit was a-plenty. I'd like to try another 5G now I have racked the first into DJ's.......just wondering what to add to the fruit I already have? 10lbs - maybe anough for 3G so would need to add something for a 5G batch...
    Nothing much in the hedgerows at the minute.... apples and pears are relatively cheap??.....satsumas??......or packs of mixed frozen berries maybe? Ot what about juices? Tinned fruit?

Anyone got any ideas/recommendations as to what might work well?

PS - First post - been doing the brewing lark for about 8 months now and learning at every gallon! This forum is invaluable! Have 21G on the go...about 16 of those from 'free' fruit and the rest from tinned fruit, carton juices etc. Loving it ...

Originally posted by Missus View Post
    Evening All..

Just mooching around my freezer today and I have about 4lbs damsons, 2 lbs sloes (picked late in the season up here, so sweeter rather than astrigengt) and about 4lbs elderberries. I have already ot 5G of 'hedgerow' wine aging with similar ingredients started in September when fruit was a-plenty. I'd like to try another 5G now I have racked the first into DJ's.......just wondering what to add to the fruit I already have? 10lbs - maybe anough for 3G so would need to add something for a 5G batch...
    Nothing much in the hedgerows at the minute.... apples and pears are relatively cheap??.....satsumas??......or packs of mixed frozen berries maybe? Ot what about juices? Tinned fruit?

Anyone got any ideas/recommendations as to what might work well?

PS - First post - been doing the brewing lark for about 8 months now and learning at every gallon! This forum is invaluable! Have 21G on the go...about 16 of those from 'free' fruit and the rest from tinned fruit, carton juices etc. Loving it ...
    hum? well while apples etc are reasonably cheap still, I'd say that it's probably less hassle to pop over to the nearest Aldi/Lidl/Netto asa theY seem to have cheap apple juice which'd save you the hassle of juicing/pressing etc.....

Oh and welcome to the forums......

regards

jtfb
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Doh - never thought of that!! Cheers for that JTFB.

I'm thinking of keeping it good and red - a jar of cherries from Lidl, a litre of cherry juice and a couple of litres of red grape juice...added to the 10lbs of prepped fruit in the freezer. It'll still work out about 25op a bottle (Cheap sugar from Pundland and the usual bits and bobs that go in). Bargain

Whilst I was pondering on it earlier this afternoon, and scouring the cupboards I've put on a gallon of pomegranite...made from 10 little bottles (110ml) of stuff you make cocktails with (10p each - no nasty chemicals present by the looks of them) and a litre of RGC. Has started fermenting after 45 mins (SG 1.090)

Gonna start my 5G at the weekend so will keep you posted.

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Sounds good, The RGC should give it a little backbone, pomegranate can make a great wine, but it does take a while to come around and mellow.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for that Duffbeer - it's still bubbling away merrily in the corner. I love that sound!!

I have learned to be patient over the last few months. Apparantly, it's a virtue...so there's one at least

Comment

i would use some fruit juices aswellheres a few rough ideas see what the other say ,
            2 lb of elderberries why not add 2 litres of apple juice or say a kilo/litre of mixed fruit berries from iceland thay are only £3, there are white and red grape juices at asda for a £1.30 for a litre a couple of red with some elderberries goes well, 2 lb of sloes , sorry but a bottle of gordons just screams at me there, we dont just have to make wine you know dont like gin try sloe vodka is just as good
            Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Thanks for that Pete - some good ideas there! Got some of the red grape from Asda (£1.50 for 2 litres at the minute) and will get some apple juice at Lidl at the weekend (33p litre). Might pop into Iceland and check out the frozen selection at the weekend too - good tip.

Really wanted to mix it all up and produce a 5G batch - I already have 5G of mixed hedgerow (Elderberries, sloes, rosehips, plums and damsons), a gallon of elderberry and sloe and a gallon of elderberry 'port' aging in the spare bedroom (amongst others!)

As for the sloe gin...a man after my own heart! I already have 4 litres of sloe gin, 2 litres of plum vodka and 1 litre each of plum brandy and elderberry rum on the go....

Comment

Working...
              X