Does anyone have a Cranberry Wine recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a Cranberry Wine recipe

My Sainsbury's was clearing the cranberries from £3.40 down to 45p yesterday... can anyone tell me how many I would need for a Gallon and does anyone have expirience with this wine

I have never made cranberry wine, but have tasted some (it wasnt bad at all)

how many have you got?

I would likely make up a wine No1 and add say 250g cranberries when the SG dropped to 1.030, this should extract the colour and flavour from them quite nicely. You may need to sweeten a tad as with most fruit wines, they are better sweetened a little.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Fromm Jack Kellers website:
      CRANBERRIES AND CURRANTS

Cranberries make about the best non-grape wine there is, so using it as a base with another ingredient is a good choice. I'm not sure which recipe Julian is speaking of, but Terry Garey mentions making a wine with a pound of currants and two pounds of cranberries. She doesn't provide a recipe, but the following should work just fine.

Cranberry-Currant Wine
      • 2 lbs fresh cranberries
      • 1 lb fresh currants
      • 3 lbs invert sugar
      • 6-2/3 pts water
      • 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
      • 1 tsp yeast nutrient
      • 1/8 tsp tannin
      • Montrachet wine yeast
      dont worry about the invert sugar, as the fermentation process inverts the sugar anyway, just use normal sugar. You probably cant get montrachet yeast either, i would use lalvin 71B-1122 or Gervin varietal D, next choice would be lalvin K1V-1116 (dont use GP yeast, you wont get the fruitiness from the cranberries as much)
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

On second thoughts.....

this ought to work better

Cranberry Wine
        • 1 kilo fresh cranberries
        • 1/2 litre white grape concentrate or 500g sultanas
        • sugar to SG 1.080 (approx 700g)
        • 1 tsp pectic enzyme
        • 1 tsp good quality yeast nutrient
        • 1 tsp Bentonite
        • 1/8 tsp tannin
        • Lalvin 71B-1122 or K1V-1116 wine yeast
        • water to 1 gallon
        chop sultanas and cranberries, place into a mesh bag, put everything (except yeast) in primary, and add 5ml sulphite solution or 1 campden tablet, leave for 24 hours then pitch yeast, (prepare a yeast starter the same time as you prepare the must) dunk the mesh bag in and out of the must twice daily (do not squeeze the bag) till SG reaches 1.020 then remove mesh bag, ferment to dry, stabilise, and sweeten to around 1.008

note:
        do not use hot water at any time in the process (despite what you may read elsewhere)
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-12-2009, 02:01 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I have a cracking cranberry recipe, however, I can't get to it right now. If I'm able to, I'll post it in the next day or two. Otherwise Bob's conversion of the Keller recipe should suffice.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks, there were a few crates there last time I looked, so I'm off to see whats left..... later Thanks

Comment

cranberry juice wine

I use 1lt of cranberry juice and 1lb of raisins and up to 2lb of sugar.
              and make like 5 a live juice wine.it turns out great and taste and its a wine you will go about.

Comment

Working...
              X