dried blackcurrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dried blackcurrants

I've had plenty of taste samples of blackcurrants. Mostly in the form of jam and candies. The dried blackcurrants i started simply taste like raisins or sultanas, there is no strong taste unique to blackcurrant. Can anyone here verify that dried blackcurrants would simply not have the taste that is so noticeable in jam?

Paul

I've never had jam, but did eat some before putting a pound in a batch of cranberry wine a while back. They are sweeter and much more intense than raisins in my opinion. I found them in a health food store. They were also smaller than raisins, about half the size.

Comment

Thanks

That describes what I am using. Smaller than regular raisins and very sweet. I'm probably ok then.

Comment

So what kind of wine are you making with them?

Comment

this is my recipe

I plan to do this as a dry wine. It is coming out much lighter than I expected, so perhaps a rose' type of wine.

BLACK CURRANT (DRIED) WINE
          14 oz. dried black currants
          2-1/4 lb. granulated sugar
          7-1/4 pt. water
          1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
          3/4 tsp. acid blend
          1 tsp. yeast nutrient
          wine yeast
          Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, add currants and cover. After 30 minutes, transfer to primary, add remaining water and all ingredients except yeast. Cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. When fermentation is vigorous, stir daily for 7 days, strain, and transfer liquid to secondary. Fit airlock and set in cool place (60-65 degrees F.) one month. Rack, top up and refit airlock, then repeat in two months. Rack again when clear. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and bottle. May taste after six months, but improves with age.

Comment

Working...
          X