Blackcurrant wine advice before I start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackcurrant wine advice before I start

Looking at godlseal recipe and Bob's recommendations I was going to give this a try:

TWO 470g PEK Jar Blackcurrants in light syrup
    1.5lb sugar (approx. Aiming for SG 1.080)
    1/2 tsp citric acid
    1/2 tsp tannin
    2tsp Pectolase
    1tsp Yeast Neutrient
    Bentonite
    GV2 Yeast
    1 250g tin of Red Grape Concentrate
    Water to 1 Gallon (1 and a bit to all

I'm thinking about the grape concentrate since I found a tin at the back of the cupboard that is nearing its use by date and thought it might add a bit of a kick to it! Maybe a bit to much of a kick? Should I remove the tannin since I have the concentrate?
    Last edited by koomber; 25-04-2010, 04:56 PM. Reason: Forgot I use 2 Jars of black currants. Orignally I said 1
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

It amy be a little light on fruit with just the one jar of blackcurrants, although it should be ok because of the grape concentrate.

Looks ok, don't add all the sugar to start with, check after 1lb, easy to add more.

Seems like a lot of tannin for a light 1 gallon, and not much acid. Have you an acid test kit at home?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
      It amy be a little light on fruit with just the one jar of blackcurrants, although it should be ok because of the grape concentrate.

Looks ok, don't add all the sugar to start with, check after 1lb, easy to add more.

Seems like a lot of tannin for a light 1 gallon, and not much acid. Have you an acid test kit at home?

Oops. Typo on the black currents. I've got 2 jars in there.
      I've got a Richies acid test kit. I was wondering about how to adjust the acid/tannin levels. I've checked on Bob's Recipe and Method Formulation....a work in progress guide. What would you suggest I should be aiming for?

I've rattled it up so far with everything except the tannin, acid and yeast. so these should be adjustable.
      -Police Squad

Comment

What does your acid measure first without any addition?

Tannin, depends really on how it tastes, which is hard to tell when it it so sweet, also on how cheek to gum clingy you like your wine! Do you intend to sweeten it at all when it's finished or leave it dry? The half tsp might be to your taste!!

Keep some notes about it, then you can reflect on it all in a few months time.. then adjust next time as required.

Even if it turns out too tannic etc, you could always use it to blend with something else that is lacking a little.

Or, if you really don't like it, or it's yuk, put it in a nice bottle, make a nice label and give it away to people that pester you for some homemade wine. If it's bad enough they'll never ask again.
        Last edited by Rich; 25-04-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          What does your acid measure first without any addition?

Tannin, depends really on how it tastes, which is hard to tell when it it so sweet, also on how cheek to gum clingy you like your wine!

Or, if you really don't like it, or it's yuk, put it in a nice bottle, make a nice label and give it away to people that pester you for some homemade wine. If it's bad enough they'll never ask again.
          Laughed so hard I nearly forgot to check the acid content!

Before any acid added it is sitting at 3.5 ppt sulphuric which I think equals 5.4 ppt Tartaric, (0.54%) which doesn't look completely bonkers.

Having started this little endevour, I've come to the conclusion that my wine making knowledge is somewhere near my father's knowledge of computers (Ie he knows what a computer looks like and can surf the internet)...

Ah well, learn by doing
          -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by koomber View Post
            Should I remove the tannin since I have the concentrate?

yes!

as there is tannin in the blackcurrants....
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I've The blackcurrant wine is more or less finished now, just needs degassing,etc before being forgotten about. I do have a slight concern...

It doesn't have much of a smell at the moment. I would go so far as to say it is cardboard-y. Any suggestions as to what this is?
              -Police Squad

Comment

Smell it after degassing....
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

If after degassing it isnt "fruity" enough for you, you "could" always add a tablespoon of blackcurrants to it for a week or so, and then rack .....

the alcohol should extract the fruitiness from the blackcurrants.

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Bob.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

Working...
                    X