Elderflowers for Bouquet in Berry Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflowers for Bouquet in Berry Wine

I want to add some bouquet to our elderberry wines made from the berries. Our bushes are about to flower soon.

1. Would it be best to pick the flowers, steep them, add some sugar and strain and freeze the syrup, adding it at bottling time?

2. Would it be better to just freeze the flowers and add them to the primary?

3. Is there a better way?

Crackedcork
    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Adding the flowers at the very end, or near the end of fermentation will add the bouquet you seek, the alcohol present will extract the smell from the flowers, and you only need about 1 tablespoon per gallon.

I'm not sure how that would turn out, i have never had an elderberry wine that had an elderflower bouquet, should be interesting.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

ahhhhhh

you want to save them and use them when the berries arrive this year?

sorry misunderstood

I would make a cordial from them, and add it when primary ferment is down to around 1.010.

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

see here

ELDERFLOWER SYRUP
        Collect elderflowers in full blossom on a dry day and shake the florets into a preserving (jam making) pan approximately a quart is the minimum quantity required. Just cover with water, simmer for thirty minutes, making good any water boiled away, then squeeze out the juice and return it to the pan. Add ¾ lb of sugar for each pint of liquid and simmer again for ten minutes, skimming if necessary. Allow to cool, bottle , cork and sterilise.
        The syrup can

adding 1 tsp vanilla sugar adds a little extra oomph too
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Lockwood, actually now that I think about it, BOTH, I have some elderberries wine that I can add this springs flowers, as well as make up a stock to add to this years batches if these turn out nice. Would just steeping them in alchohol work?

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Adding the flowers at the very end, or near the end of fermentation will add the bouquet you seek, the alcohol present will extract the smell from the flowers, and you only need about 1 tablespoon per gallon.

I'm not sure how that would turn out, i have never had an elderberry wine that had an elderflower bouquet, should be interesting.
          WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
            Would just steeping them in alchohol work?
            yup

the 12% (ish) alc in your finished wine is enough alcohol to extract what you seek.

alcohol extraction is how a lot of perfumes are made....
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
            X