Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking Elderberries the Easiest of all possible ways!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Elderberries the Easiest of all possible ways!

Picking Elderberries the Easiest Way! 10 pounds of berries in less then 30 minutes!! Wash the berries in the bucket with cold water to float away the junk, d...

I wanted to share how we took what we learned from some Euro winemaker guys and used on our own American berries. We picked some elders this weekend and used Richs Knock the berries in the bucket and Lucs washing the picked berries with cold water to float out the junk and got 10 pounds of very nice berries in about 30 minutes, including trying to film the knocking in the bucket which you will see I still havent gotten it right yet. Washing the berries also cooled them down fast and after draining them they filled 2 gallon freezer bags. We have picked so many different ways, this just couldnt be any easier and give great berries in the end.

Crackedcork
    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

cheers, very timely
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Nice one thanks
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Me ? I just pull the heads off, then comb the berries off with an afro comb and the float them to sort.....
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
          Me ? I just pull the heads off, then comb the berries off with an afro comb and the float them to sort.....
          Thats the way I normally do it....
          But the battering the stalks about in a bucket seems far more stress relieving
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Hi:
            I am getting a steam juicer soon so was thinking this would be good for elderberry juicing. I can't work out if they would need de-stemming or not?

What's the consensus?

thanks

Mark

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

I always de-stem even if I'm steaming,

technically you don't need to, but I don't want any stemminess in my wine this is why i steam them, to reduce the harshness.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks Bob,

Destem it is then.

I would have thought that most of the tannins / colour will remain behind in the pulp after steaming. Would you stick some of the pulp in a muslin bag or similar and add this to the must or do you substitute with powdered tannin?

thanks

Mark
                Last edited by mcblades; 28-07-2010, 07:14 AM. Reason: add question

http://markblades.com
                Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Steaming seems to reduce the tannins, but there is plenty of colour in the resulting juice - it comes out quick thick and gloopy
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks for this, will be leaving the forks in the drawer and utilising the bucket bang method this year!

Less mess in the kitchen = less ear bashing from SWMBO.

Comment

We tossed our combs, sorting tables, screens etc., Bobs your uncle doing it this way right Crackedcork
                      WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Working...
                      X