Damsons & Plums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damsons & Plums

I was given a kilo of Damsons to which I have added a kilo of Plums to make up the weigh as I am making a gallon batch of wine ( remember I am a newbie t this) I am freezing the fruit right now to assist the de-stoning, now could I add some Elderberries to darken this wine down to more of a red than a rose??? any other tips would be appreciated. Oh I am also adding 500g of Raisins washed of their oil.

Originally posted by makaholic View Post
    could I add some Elderberries to darken this wine down to more of a red than a rose??? .
    Cant see why not, careful you dont load up with too much fruit though, i would only add around 500g elderberries, if adding more, consider making it a two gallon batch....
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have three kilos in the freezer, I'm planning on using them with two litres of elderberry juice to make two gallons of wine (i.e. ~3lb damsons and 1 litre elderberry juice per gallon. Sound reasonable Bob or do you think that's too much elderberry?)

I'm not going to bother storing the fruit, I'm sure there's a really good reason why you should but I find it too much hassle with damsons - unless they're cultivated ones that are nearly as big as plums. I just mash them around in the fermenter twice a day.

Don't forget to use pectolase, and don't heat them.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Cant see why not, careful you dont load up with too much fruit though, i would only add around 500g elderberries, if adding more, consider making it a two gallon batch....
        Forgot to mention that I have dried Elderberries so that might change the quantity??

Comment

I would add no more 125g of dried to your mix, if making a gallon.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by benarnold View Post
            ng on using them with two litres of elderberry juice to make two gallons of wine (i.e. ~3lb damsons and 1 litre elderberry juice per gallon. Sound reasonable Bob or do you think that's too much elderberry?)
            sounds great
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood 1956 View Post
              I would add no more 125g of dried to your mix, if making a gallon.
              Thank you Lockwood, and I definitely wont boil them benarnold!! although love the idea of the steam extractor I have read about.

Now about yeast, I have in my possession Youngs super wine yeast compound, Youngs all purpose red and Lalvin K1-V1116, would any of these be ok to use for my damson,plumb and elderberry wine which I cant stretch to two gallons as I only have a two gallon fermenter arghhh!! anyway I want to get this underway quickly as I will be going away, but do I need to order a different yeast?????

Comment

K1v everytime... (for me anyway)

Comment

Thanks Rich, I will go with that.

Now I am thinking I would like to try to make this into a 2 Gallon batch somehow even though I only have a 2 Gallon fermenter, so I realise now that I can add more water after I have taken out the bag of must Duh

So if making 2 Gallons with 1Kilo Damsons, 1Kilo Plums, should I add 500g of Elderberry's and 500g Raisins plus 2 Kilos of sugar?? or am I way off here????

Any comments will be appreciated from this newby!!

Comment

I can't help with your question but if i was you i'd soak the Damson's before using them, i did a batch last year and they had some sort of grub living in them! Unless you don't mind the extra protein that is!

Comment

Thanks danpug, I did find one little fella!!! but that was all!!

OK so I had to make my own mind up on this so went and turned it into 2 Gallons from
                      1 Kilo Plums
                      1 Kilo Damsons
                      250g Raisins
                      250g Dried Elderberry's
                      2 tsp. Pectolase
                      1 Campden Tab
                      2 tsp. Nutrient
                      1 Pkt. Lalvin K1V yeast

Tied everything in muslin, poured over some boiled water topped up and let soak for 48 hours.

Yesterday added yeast, (it is in a 2 Gal plastic bucket with lid & bubbler attached).

Not much action at all happening, should I just wait and it will take its time or have I omitted something crucial??? Glad of any help here!!!.

Comment

Sometimes it takes a while for a fermentation to get going. K1V can take its time.

Is the lid airtight? If you have an air leak the bubbler may not bubble?

What was your starting SG, and what is your SG now?

What temperature is the must?
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by gold seal View Post
                          Sometimes it takes a while for a fermentation to get going. K1V can take its time.

Is the lid airtight? If you have an air leak the bubbler may not bubble?

What was your starting SG, and what is your SG now?

What temperature is the must?
                          Thanks so much for your help here.

My starting SG was 1080 and things are looking a lot better now!! today the SG is 1070 and a a covering of frothy stuff which was not apparent yesterday or early this morning. Temperature is 23c I know the ideal is 20 but I don't think I have anywhere that will drop it down some more as I don't have the heating on at the moment.

Now the next burning question is I will be going away on Monday for a week so could I leave it in the primary fermenter for that amount of time and then get it into 2 demijohns?????

Thank you again for your help, its much appreciated.

Comment

In theory you should be OK. Even if it ferments out, the CO2 generated by fermentation should protect the wine.

I would be looking to cool the must to slow the fermentation down. K1V will still go at 15c (and in my experience, a bit lower than that). Do you have a shed or a garage?
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I think that I could pop it in the larder its definitely colder in there, I will check the temperature again tomorrow to see if it has gone down a tad, lid seems airtight and I do have a bubbler on it with cling film around the bung to help prevent air from getting in (bubbler top open though).

Thank you again, I feel that all may not be lost now!!! it is scary as a newbie and I am one who likes to go on in and make my own recipes albeit a bit soon for a newbie, nothing like learning to swim in the deep end!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X