Quince Wine - Yeast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quince Wine - Yeast?

Hi all, I think this is my first post here (though I registered in advance of the VWC to send bottles along!) so hello!

I have come into the possession of two bags full of quinces, and I think that making wine with them is the way forward (to add to the rhubarb and elderberry and god knows how much beer that I have on the go at the minute...) but as I wasn't expecting them, I'm a little low on yeasts to use.

I have the following to choose from: Gervin GV10, Lalvin 71B-1122 and EC1118. Any suggestions?

I was going to follow the recipe in Berry (20 quinces, grated, boiled with 3lb sugar, 2 lemons (juice and rind) per gallon - probably add some pectolase too) unless there are any better suggestions?

Thanks!

I believe quinces are high in malic acid.

Lalvin 71B-1122 metabolises (i.e. 'eats') a significant amount of the malic acid in the must, so this would be my choice.

I would also think before boiling the fruit - it will probably release pectin and may give the wine a 'cooked' taste.

Finally, all the CJJJJJJJ Berry recipes overstate the sugar required. Make your must up to around 1.080 on your hydrometer (you'll need to take a sample minus the bits of fruit pulp).
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Thanks - that was my thoughts, though I was unsure about the strain with regards to how long it will take to ferment out.

I think the boiling is to soften the fruit up a little, but I'll certainly limit the length of time it boils for and definitely add pectolase.

I tend to use a refractometer on the must to check the brix before starting the ferment too - somewhere between 1080 and 1090 is my usual aim.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X