Sweetening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetening

In a gallon dj, roughly how much ordinary granulated sugar would it take to sweeten a wine that has fermented down to .99 or whatever dead is - in order to give a avge medium or sweet wine. I appreciate it will be down to ones own tastebuds, but a rough clue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by TStarr View Post
    In a gallon dj, roughly how much ordinary granulated sugar would it take to sweeten a wine that has fermented down to .99 or whatever dead is - in order to give a avge medium or sweet wine. I appreciate it will be down to ones own tastebuds, but a rough clue would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd personally make up 100grams of sugar in a small amount of water (sugar syrup) and add small amount at a time and taste it till it suites you. Be very careful with your additions it takes a lot less than you might think to sweeten with sugar. If you do over do the sugar and the wine is too sweet you can add a little (pinches not spoonfulls) of citric acid to 'balance' the sweetness out.

Don't forget to stabilize it before you start with 1 tsp campden and 1 tsp sorbate

Comment

Careful here......

Stabilise adding the dosage stated on the tubs

some sorbate you only need 0.5 tsp per gallon, and campden comes in many forms, always read the label on the tub regarding dosage.

if sweetening with sugar (and always add as a sugar solution, as suggested earlier) don't just dump sugar into your wine or you can end up with a volcano!

Always add a little at a time, stir thoroughly (but gently) till you reach the taste you like, as once it is in, you cant get it out.

When you reach the taste you desire, check the SG, (this will help you when sweetening further batches)

You really need to check the SG before you add, and again afterwards, so your figures are correct.

Totally dry wine will read 0.990

I regard medium to be 0.996 to 1.004
      medium sweet approx 1.006 to 1.010

8 oz of sugar added to 1 gal of wine will raise the SG approx 0.018

hope that helps
      regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thks - so from looks of things 4-6 ozs will give me Medium, and 8-10 ozs will give me Sweet - assuming I started out around .99 - some gd rules of thumb.

Comment

Working...
        X