Thick Sediment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick Sediment

Bit of a cock up on the fermenting bin to dj straining - after 3-4 weeks, ferment slowed right down, sg down around 1.0, but the sediment is over an inch deep - wasn't sure whether to rack immediately, or leave till bubbles cease?

But more importantly, it is going to require one helluva lot of topping up - I don't have another wine to add in, water would surely dilute too much, sugared water might start it up again (she had a good 3lb plus) - my thought was to drop some sterilized marbles in - good/bad/get your coat?

Not a bad idea at all - as long as you've got enough marbles. It takes a surprising amount to fill up a seemingly small space.

What's the SG reading now and what sort of wine is it? As it is still bubbling you could make up some sugar syrup to the same (or a little above) the present gravity, or if it's a juice wine add some more juice, again diluted to the present gravity.

A word of warning, if you're using a glass DJ slide the marbles in gently, don't just drop them in as you could be in danger of breaking the DJ. I knoe, 'cos I've done it!
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by TStarr View Post
      Bit of a cock up on the fermenting bin to dj straining - after 3-4 weeks, ferment slowed right down, sg down around 1.0, but the sediment is over an inch deep - wasn't sure whether to rack immediately, or leave till bubbles cease?

But more importantly, it is going to require one helluva lot of topping up - I don't have another wine to add in, water would surely dilute too much, sugared water might start it up again (she had a good 3lb plus) - my thought was to drop some sterilized marbles in - good/bad/get your coat?

Without knowing the recipe or the yeast it is a bit hard to say, but since you have used 3lbs of sugar I'm going to guess it might be a CJJJJ Berry recipe or something similar. The chances are your 1.0SG is because the yeast has reached alcohol tolerance and cannot ferment any more.

If you top up with mroe sugar it might or might not start again (as a said about the sugar/alcohol levels). I'd probably top it up with some 'flavour appropriate juice'. That way you'll retain flavour but you won't add too much in the way of more sugar.

Don't worry if it restarts again if it starts up. You'll probably still need to fine it anyway and the sediment thrown will get caught up in that. It'll Be Fine!
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

Thks - it is a blackberry wine - tempted to leave the dj just sitting there forever, the colour is soooo gorgeous! - would anything approximate to it as a top up, or do I start sterilizing my marbles (yes, the Mrs has already suggested I am going to have trouble finding them - reckons I lost them when I started winemaking again!)

Comment

Rack it and top up with a sugar solution of the same SG

1.000 you say?

but i'm sure adding grape juice wouldn't hurt...it wont be that much...
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            1.000 you say?
            Hmm. Going to be tricky measuring that much sugar
            -Police Squad

Comment

1/2 gal water....4 oz sugar...near enough
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

we are only guestimating anyway, and it will be close enough...should read around 1.009
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  we are only guestimating anyway, and it will be close enough...should read around 1.009
                  I really should learn to put my chemistry head away sometimes. I thought about going at it directly (ie volume requied + sugar required) I didn't think about making more than would be needed to make the quantites more managable.
                  -Police Squad

Comment

well...

problem is, water is near enough 1.000 anyway, so a little sugar would make sure the must wasn't being diluted, and we aren't working in exact science anyhoooooo
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X