Pomegranates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pomegranates

Anyone tried steam juicing Pomegranates - picking out all the little pips to ferment on the fruit sounds like an awful long job on 16 or so pomegranates - but bunging them in to a juicer sounds more fun - but only if you don't have to take them off the pith etc - so anyone tried?

I have a gallon of Lidl's best Pom juice (37% pomegranate!!) on the go, but tasted decidedly weak on the pomegranate, although the 'dilution' appears to be red grape juice, so I guess it could end up nice - only 75p a litre if anyone interested.

Would introducing some element of fresh pomegranates help along the way re taste/bouquet - I can't see any results from the tests members have started on adding at various stages.

Would not consider steam juicing when pommy juice is so cheap. I made a wonderful rose using original pomegreat from Tescos (2 for £2), 1 litre each pommy, apple and red grape juice, sugar to 1080 ish and vintners harvest bv7 yeast* (and nutrient and citric). Finished 1096, tasted quite harsh at first but after leaving six months in the demi before bottling it has smoothed out and is delish (at least I think so and daughter #1 agrees). Will definitely make again when I have my elderberry sorted.

*dont know what the equivilent Lalvin or Gervin is but this yeast really brings out the fruit flavours
    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

You dont want any pith at all in the steam juicer

De seeding pomegranates is easy

cut in half, and place flat part on hand and bash with spoon, seeds pop right out.

Adding some (fresh) late in the ferment will give more fruitiness and the flavour profile you seek. (at around SG 1.010) and you don't need to add many, probably around 50g per gallon

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
      X