Suggestions for a good pear wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a good pear wine?

I have 4 carrier bags of Pears in my freezer, which have come from the tree in my garden. I need to decide what to do with them as they are taking up far too much space and I really should pull my finger out and make something with them

2 years ago I had a similar quantity from the same tree and this in fact was my intro to the wonderful world of home-brewing. A mate talked me into making a basic country wine from them instead of them being given away (I don't eat pears as a fruit, but happy to drink wine made from them!). The result was "ok" I suppose and I still have about 15+ bottles in the cellar. I added way to much water though so it is a bit weak.

So.... reason for the thread (finally)... what should I make with these pears? I have had a quick look around and I see we have a recipe on the forum here but I would like to hear opinions/suggestions. I would like to combine the fruit with something else but I am not sure what. Would strawberry work?? I don't want a bland wine...

Thanks.
    Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
    BrewTrax forum discount details here

Pears can make good fizz?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I found pears are best juiced, they are smoother that way, used as a pulp ferment they can have a bit of a rough edge.

I freeze them, then thaw and press, gives me clear juice to work with.

then add 1 litre of that juice to a gallon of "X" and away you go

pear and blueberry juice might work well....

maybe do the tinned strawberry recipe, with addition of 1 litre pear juice?

regards
      Bob
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-02-2011, 08:59 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks gents.
        I think I like the sound of pear and blueberry

Are we talking about fresh blueberrys (maybe expensive?) or just purchase some blueberry juice? I assume if its the latter, I may need to boil the juice to get rid of any presevatives?

Thanks
        Stuart

Comment

You dont need to boil it, just hold it at 140 deg f for a short while.

when I use it in wine No2 I just add it neat (I dont like heat used in my winemaking if i can help it

The preservative dose is diluted X 5 ......yeasties just rip through it

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Many thanks
            Stuart

Comment

Working...
            X