No announcement yet.

Tropicana Tropical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "dryness" from the aperitif, is not just because it is dry, it is actually from the astringency imparted by the citrus pith, sweetening will have smoothed that out a tad.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      The "dryness" from the aperitif, is not just because it is dry, it is actually from the astringency imparted by the citrus pith, sweetening will have smoothed that out a tad.

regards
      Bob
      Roger,

I sweetened to 1015 rather than 1025 as suggested as it tasted good at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

regards
        Bob
        Bob
        Would I also get that from the 'Tropical'? I threw the carton away before noting or registering the contents. Mainly orange, perhaps, with minor amounts of passion fruit, mango, and I can't remember the other (s).

Daughter number 2, who has a quite good semi-trained nose and palate for wine (MUCH better than mine), tasted (uncleared) WN1 and Tropicana today. She said the Tropicana was very fruity, but had something she wasn't used to, perhaps 'astringency' (her very word) on her palate.

She looked up the garden and said "Is that a monkey in the Willow tree?" I looked out of the window and she was pretending to leg it out to her car with my gallon of Tropicana........

It seemed fine to me, nice and dry I imagined it cleared, cooled; get it down me neck! Certainly very fruity. Could taste the mango clearly.

Off to bed to get some sleep. An anxious last 48 hours but grandchild (girl) number 4 arrived safely and healthily this morning. She looks beautiful, of course.

regards

Lawrence

Comment

Hi Lawrence,

no, you wont get that from the tropicana....

but strangely (and I am sorry for it) I wish you did....it would make for a much more interesting intercourse

haha

keep the faith!

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I found that I was seriously unimpressed with the Tropical when I bottled it. Fruity, but a bit thin and harsh. A month in the bottle did wonders.

Mine was made using D47, and went to 0.992.

I used 71B on the latest gallon, and that is down to 0.993-4.

I think the glycerin in the recipe does help, both smoothing and sweetening slightly.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

The Tropicana has cleared very nicely on its own. Racked it today, a little taste - very fruity still, DRY! and an edge of harshness. Put it away under the stairs for a while. I hope it isn't frightened of the dark.

Comment

Mine was a bit harsh and a bit lacking in flavour at bottling. It improved markedly in just a few weeks
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  Mine was a bit harsh and a bit lacking in flavour at bottling. It improved markedly in just a few weeks
                  That's what I'm hoping! Flavour seems to be there I hope the harshness diminishes. Think I will start another gallon of it tomorrow in the basis of what I have experienced of it so far.

Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                  X