No announcement yet.

Youngs 2 part fining only clears half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs 2 part fining only clears half?

Hi
    Ive had this happen a couple of time now
    I religiously follow the instructions on the two part fining packet. part A stir ... hour later add part b stir .......
    2 days later I have a crystal clear top half and a untouched bottom half .. happened twice now , stiring results returning to where I started.

wine is number 1 orange and mango
    1085 start
    pectic enzyme added
    stopped and sulfited
    .... any ideas

thanks in advance

Hi,

just a few thoughts: give it a bit more time? Is this a wine that takes a while to clear? I usually just forget about them in the demi for at least a month.

Also, temperature could affect the clearing process/time. Best to keep the wine somewhere cooler whilst it clears?

My last silly question: has is actually finished fermentation? Did you stop the ferment?

Just a few starters.
    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

As with most things patience is often required as well as the dose of finnings. Sometimes wine clears within two days....most of the time it won't Id give it at least a few weeks before doing anything rash (like giving it a stir!)

Comment

Obviously, 2 days is not long enough. I use 2-part finings regularly, and it often takes as long as 2-3 weeks to completely clear. I say "often" but not always. Sometimes it only takes a few days.

And don't stir once you add it, or it will never clear.

Patience...
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post

Patience...

Patience ? Sounds like crazy talk to me.

Comment

Ted.....

you are a naughty boy

have yourself spanked immediately
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

thanks for the feed back
              Its,an orange and mango .. and white grape, number 1 type wine
              Yes I stoped it and racked it ..I tried putting it in the fridge but it started to cloud back the cleared side :-( so I took it back out sharpish . Ill leave it and see what happens on the up side Ive got at least 2.5litres of good stuff :-)

Comment

Hi

wines made with mango juice take longer to clear as they contain a lot of solids in suspension, let it stand it will clear further, as the sediment compacts.
                regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                X