Green elderberry wines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green elderberry wines

Just been reading Bob's "Winemaking with Elderberries T. Edwin Belt" thread:

This book is no longer in Print, it is a fantastic resource, so I thought it would be useful to reproduce sections of it here (as time permits...it's a long process for a slow typer! :D) over 13000 words so far phew! I will also covert it to a down-loadable file once it is completed So that it will be out in the public domain

Several recipes using green elderberries...

Anyone tried?
    Steven

Devon

Still looking for a green elderberry tree here.....

M has one in her garden, keep meaning to take cuttings

Cant believe I typed all of that out...took bloomin ages (saddo)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Ahhh...

Green Elderberries are not unripe red elderberries

And there was me thinking I could go gathering green berries!
      Steven

Devon

Comment

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
        Ahhh...

Green Elderberries are not unripe red elderberries

And there was me thinking I could go gathering green berries!
        Ooo eerrrr missus.......

Most people aren't aware, that elderberry trees are toxic. It's only the berries that aren't a problem.

So with that in mind, i'd have thought its better not to try unripe red/black ones. That's presuming that the ones mentioned in the recipe are actually different.

Not long to wait anyway, as the ones round here are nearly ready for picking, so yours can't be far behind.
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          ....M has one in her garden, keep meaning to take cuttings
          I should take some photo's Green edlerberry tree's indeed - yeah righto
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

There is a variety of elderberry "Sambucus Nigra Verescens" that produces green elderberries. The bark of the bush is white and they produce pale green to yellow berries that are striped like gooseberries and almost see through, you can see the seeds through the skin. (Winemaking with elderberries T Edwin Belt page 16 paragraph 3)

The more Common Sambucus Nigra produces the purple black berries more commonly found.

Just because one doesnt know about it, doesn't make it untrue.......
            Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-08-2011, 09:31 AM. Reason: typos
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

You'll be telling me next you can turn sugary water into wine ?
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

lol......you can even add root vegetables to it (I am told)
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

what happened to the cutting last year. prob is that the birds love these berries so is hard to get enough
                  http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                  http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

The cutting didn't make it...........my gardening skills not what they should be

(I'll scrounge another cutting at GF if thats possible Ian?)

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

sure no problem.

ian
                      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

There is a variety of elderberry "Sambucus Nigra Verescens" which that produces green elderberries. The bark of the bush is white and they produce pale green to yellow berries that are striped like gooseberries and almost see through (you can see the seeds through the skin. (Winemaking with elderberries T Edwin Beklt page 16 paragraph 3)

The more Common Sambucus Nigra produces the purple black berries more commonly found.

Just because one doesnt know about it, doesn't make it untrue.......
                        And you'll be making spagetti wine off the spagetti tree next . . . .
                        A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
                          And you'll be making spagetti wine off the spagetti tree next .

After you post up your recipe

Comment

lol......you can even add root vegetables to it (I am told)
                            LOL - now you are going too far

Ian - could I scrounge a cutting too.

Comment

Working...
                            X