Complicated or simple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated or simple?

Ladies & Gentlemen, your considered opinions would be gratefully appreciated on the question of whether a single malt (so to speak) makes a better wine than say a more complex must.

This year has produced a sparser harvest than last, when I was able to produce 100% blackberry, elderberry and damson wines (used roughly 50% steamed juice to the gallon). This year I have smaller quantities of now frozen loganberries, damsons, blackberries and elderberries. Am I wasting my time, and harvest, by mixing the resultant juices or would I be better trying to make wines based predominantly on a single fruit.

Now thats a very interesting question.......

so many different options.....

my personal take would be:

smaller yields generally mean better quaulity fruit....therefore.......it is important to make the most of the precious crop.

late fruit additions is the way to go, my feeling being that you will be maximising the "fruit" yield and content of any must prepared

if you want any more info then please feel free to PM me/ask me questions in open forum/email me

look forward to talking to you on this one

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

So...a good solid wine base, with a late fruit additions in smaller quantities will likely yield best results.

some of those fruits if they are in small amounts might even make great late fruit additions to melomels?

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Still single fruit varietals though?

just my two pennerth
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Still single fruit varietals though?

just my two pennerth
          Bob - do you mean that you would do single varietal and then blend as per grape wines or just keeping and then drinking them as single varietal wines. Or maybe blend the juices prior to fermentation. Knowing of course your love of 2lb blackberry, 2lb elderberry to the gallon wine.

Not a big fan of single varietal elderberry or blackberry but they seem to be great blenders and toppers uppers and mix well together.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
          X