Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plum wine

Hello everyone
    just wondering if anybody has made plum wine (victoria plums) by putting them through a juicer or crushing in a press to extract the juice?
    perhaps this really isn't necessary as i've made it before by smashing them up in my primary vessel then adding hot water -
    I also see in previous threads that freezing makes juice extraction pretty easy.

I found the de-gassing method (thanks Lockwood!!!) has helped to clear some of my plum wine which I started about late August last year - however I have one which seems stubborn in clearing.... any suggestions?

Originally posted by woody1962 View Post
    .... any suggestions?
    Use grapes !

(I will get my coat)
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Heh Heh!
      I do intend to do that at some point - i've got a young vine (? think its Black Hamburg?) in my greenhouse, it had one small bunch on last year - I look forwards to bunches many!

Comment

I just posted a related question on the recipe list for plum. No one seems to have anything good to say about plum wine, or have I just picked a lop-sided thread?

If anyone's made a decent plum wine with a bit of body, can they please put up their hands? Happily it makes a decent jam, so they won't go to waste if wine isn't their destiny.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Originally posted by woody1962 View Post
          however I have one which seems stubborn in clearing.... any suggestions?
          Its likely a pectin problem (common in stoned fruit treated with hot water), dose it with some pectolase 2 tsp per gallon (or twice the stated dose on the tub)

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
            I just posted a related question on the recipe list for plum. No one seems to have anything good to say about plum wine, or have I just picked a lop-sided thread?

If anyone's made a decent plum wine with a bit of body, can they please put up their hands? Happily it makes a decent jam, so they won't go to waste if wine isn't their destiny.
            I haven't made a plum wine but I must tell you about one a friend made a few years ago from some golden plums from my brother's garden. She made a 1-gallon demijohn-full and left it to ferment in her kitchen. There came a time (maybe a year or so later) when she was ready to pour it down the sink, saying it was an evil-tasting failure. Only she didn't get round to chucking it... kept forgetting. Then, on an evening, months later (perhaps it was a whole year later), we were sitting chatting and came to the end of the bottle of whatever it was (some shop-bought red) we were drinking and she remembered the filthy tasting plum wine that she kept forgetting the chuck... thought she might as well have another taste (desperate measures - just in case) before tipping it down the sink. It was the best wine I'd ever tasted and I still haven't tasted anything better since. Didn't last very long, unfortunately
            "How demeaning! To be set upon by Tibley Bobley!" - Professor Moriarty

Comment

Sounds like age improves then!

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
                If anyone's made a decent plum wine with a bit of body, can they please put up their hands?
                Me Sir! Me! Davies Sir! *straining my hand to the ceiling and jutting out my chin for added emphasis.*
                I made a lovely plum wine last September, it was a delicious dry and crisp rose; a lovely colour and great fruity taste. I gave some to the lady who has the plum tree and she raved about it, you'd have thought I gave her some sort of alchemic potion so incredulous was she at this great tasting handmade wine. I will be mass producing plum and damson wine in the summer, you never know, if I make enough, some of it might get old!

Comment

Main thing I have read about plum, having no plums available to make my own, is don't use boiling water, a cold soak with 1-2 CT's per Gallon should help avoid clearing problems.

Comment

Hello and welcome - I see this is your first post. Thanks for your input.

I might have to read up about my plums!! I have planted some gages (no railway gags please) and need a good recipe to turn these into something like a merlot
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                    X