Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barley and Apricot wine turned into a smoothie

Hey everyone

I just made a gallon of apricot and barley using 1lb of flaked barley and 2lb of minced dried apricots. After 1 week in the bucket I attempted to transfer it to a DJ. I put my fine grain-bag over a funnel and a seive over that to catch any big bits. It went through the seive ok bit then the grain bag seemed too much. The consistency was that of a smoothie and in the end I gave up allowing it to drip through the grain bag. After 30 minutes only just over an inch had dripped in so I just seived it straight into the dj.My question is what went wrong? I used pectolase and amylase as usual.

Many thanks

HLA91

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Not 100% sure but I suspect the problem was that you fermented the flaked barly.
    Flaked barley is used in making stouts and some beers, these are I think (someone else needs to confirm this) produced differently to wines.

For a beer I think that you boil the liquid with everything in to get the flavours off the ingredients and then ferment the flavoured liquid.

Also from what I can read you use a small amount of flaked barley not a pound to a gallon.

What was the intention of using barley?
    If the idea was a barley wine then barley wine is actually a strong beer, also made with malted barley not flaked.

You could have used whole grain barley, but not sure how much flavor that would actually impart to a wine, wouldn't think it would be a lot.

From searching for falked barley and se what it is like (Rolled oats comes to mind) I suspect that you have produced a fermented porridge.

I would have put the barley in a pan with 2 pints of water and heated this, then seived and saved the liquid and added this to the wine as part of the water. Be aware that flaked barley can add a haze and the amount used here was high. This approach is however similar to beer making.

Slight disclaimer here: Never made beer and so all this is guesswork from what I can read, I could be 100% wrong.

Comment

Working...
    X