Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic pear wine with floating bits

Hi,

I started a gallon mix of pear wine last week, it's my first go at making a fruit wine. I got some equipment from a local shop, i'm following a recipe from the shops website.

It's currently in a demijohn fermenting, there is a bubble in the airlock about every 4 seconds.

There are light coloured bits floating around the demijohn, is this normal? Are these floating bits the yeast?
    Last edited by water_to_wine; 30-08-2012, 09:42 AM.

It is difficult to tell without seeing the recipe.

Can you post it up here please (or a link to the recipe online)?

A photo of your demijohn would be useful too.

Oh, and welcome to the forum
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Hi,

The recipe: 2 kg organic pears, cup of tea (no milk or sugar, the tannin), 1 1/4 tsps of wine yeast, 1 tsp pectolase, 1kg unrefined sugar, 1 tsp of juice from a lemon.

Some photos of the demijohn...

pear wine #1.jpgpear wine #2.jpg
      Last edited by water_to_wine; 30-08-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

It looks absolutely fine to me, the floaty bits are probably just fruit particles or yeast, certainly nothing to worry about.
        Discount Home Brew Supplies
        Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
        Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Hi, OK thanks, i think it must be yeast as i sieved out the fruit pulp before it went into the demijohn
          Last edited by water_to_wine; 30-08-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Looks OK to me too.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

looks okay to me to, but it I very much doubt it is yeast.

I made an in-line filter for my siphon hoses that would clear about this sort of 'stuff' during ranking.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hi again, i've got another question,

The process for my wine goes something like this:

1. A few days in a large glass cylinder to start it off
                2. Syphoned into a demijohn and left to ferment
                3. Syphoned into a second demijohn and left to clear before bottling

The fermenting stage (2) is supposed to take between 3 days and a week according to my recipe. It's nearly seven days into the second stage and it's still bubbling away quite a bit and doesn't look like it's going to slow down.

Can you put to much yeast into a mix?

Comment

When you add the yeast it grows massively before ferment starts by budding (reproducing) you would have to put an awful lot of yeast in to be too much. But as a matter of interest how much did you use?

(The stuff floating in the DJ in your first post is pear pulp by the way, and not yeast)

dont measure ferments in days, it all depends on many circumstances as to how long s ferment takes.

your hydrometer is your friend in this regard and will help you monitor ithe ferments progress.

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi,

I put about 1 1/4 tsps of wine yeast in. I don't know what a hydrometer is, do you think i'll need one? I was just going to leave to ferment out.

Comment

You can make wine without one........but........its easier with one....eliminates a lot of guesswork

my hydrometer is my friend

1 1/4 tsp yeast is about 7.5 grams thats perfectly fine

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I agree re the hydrometer, which you will find in any HBS or wilkos for a couple of quid. If you are as clumsy as me then I would buy 2. They are generally made of glass and have a habit of rolling off worktops just when you need them!

http://markblades.com
                        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                        X