Elderberry and Blackberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry and Blackberry

Okay so berrys of all descriptions in short supply in sunny (coff coff) Tyne and Wear so I want to make the best use of the little I have foraged/bought. I have 6lbs Elderberries and 4lbs of Blackberries steam juiced to just under 4 litres of juice. My original plan was for a two gallon brew adding tronz, citric etc and enough sugar to 1080 and use Vintners Harvest SN9 yeast. One gallon would be fermented to dry for wine and the other used for Port. I plan to add a desert spoon of cocoa powder to produce a Chocolate Elderberry and Blackberry port. However the SN9 yeast will only ferment to 13% which would mean adding 1.5 bottles of brandy to bring it up to 19% abv. I am not convinced I have enough fruit to make the Port "big" enough using that amount of fortifier. I have a Cal Con Shiraz just started using Lalvin EC-1118 which can go to 18%. One pint of this as a starter which would mean much less fortifier and therefore a fuller bodied Port. I also have a half gallon demijohn so a 1.5 gallon brew is also possible. Unknown territory for me so any advice greatly appreciated.
    Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

SN9 goes to 18% from my experience and their literature...

Comment

Doh! senior moment, must remember to get my memory serviced. For SN9 read R56. "Ideally suited for rich full bodied red wines with exceptional flavour complexity." Goes to 13.5 according to my pamphlet. Used SN9 last March and was initially disappointed in the fruit flavour. Having said that it has been in bulk for over six months so time for a tasty tester

Comment

Decided to go for two gallon brew using R56. Bit concerned over EC-1118 stripping out flavour and want to preserve the fruitiness. Decided not enough fruit for a port so will finish as a standard table wine. SG currently at 1.096 for 8 litres. Will see if it foams before topping up.

Comment

That is the decision I would have made - insufficient fruit for a port. I made an Elderberry/Blackberry wine from steam-juiced fruit in the same proportion of yours last year. It is drinkable now, which surprised me.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
          X