muscadine recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• muscadine recipe?

I looked in the recipe section but I couldn't find a recipe for red muscadine wine. Does anyone have one? Does it help to freeze the muscadines first?

Mr. Keller has one

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques15.asp

hope this helps
    regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks. I'll prob be back with more questions later.

Comment

I'm back.
        I'm trying to decide which yeast to order--I normally use red star premier cuvee for fruit wine but I notice Hippie had Ec1118 champagne yeast on the muscadine wine and Jack Keller had montrachet yeast. Any suggestions on what would be best for a sweet red muscadine wine?

Comment

71B...make a starter!
          REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

okay thanks. I don't know if I'll have enough room in my freezer but if I do, would it help to freeze the muscadines first? I used frozen blueberries when I did that but muscadine is a grape and I don't think you normally freeze grapes first? I will be freezing some to press and add back flavor/sweetness later.

Comment

Yes, it will help if you have the space. It works on grapes the same as any fruit.
              REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

IMHO freezing is essential for maximum flavor and color extraction. Yeast...71B and 1116 work very well.

Comment

I just got the muscadines. It's the first time I've tasted a muscadine and they are really good. I'm cleaning them now and have made room in the freezer. I ordered the 71b yeast which will arrive monday. So I'm almost ready. I've been told that sometimes people make fruit wines too high in alcohol and they come out "hot" tasting. I make my blueberry to start 1.080 s.g. I was thinking more like 1.090 for the muscadine since my red grape wines are that much or higher. Any recommendations? I will be using 7 pds per gallon and want a wine with alot of body but easy drinking. It will be sweetened (I will be putting back some of the grapes for juice to add back later). Since I'm making it for a friend I feel a bit pressured for it to turn out great. Thanks for your help.

Comment

1.090-1.098 is what I shoot for. 7#/gal will give you a wine with plenty of body....enjoy!

Comment

You will do just fine! Tell the friend wine takes time and to be very patient. 1.080-1.090 is just great. No matter how wonderful the wine turns out, your friend needs to know how to properly cellar it and that it will need at the very least 1 or 2 years bottle age to be at it's best, maybe more. Be sure and taste after it is all done fermenting and stabilized before you start adding juice back in small increments. Please keep explicit notes. Do not forget the sorbate at the stabilizing racking or the racking before the sweetening rack. Please be sure and ask plenty of questions. I am excited for you!
                      REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

thanks. I've already told him it will be atleast 1 1/2 years from now before he gets the wine. I'm hoping it will be drinkable after 1 year, but still improve after that. Waiting is always the hardest part. I'll store it till it's ready to drink.

I just realized I may have to split it into two primaries--he had a 5 gallon bucket full of muscadines and my primaries are only 8 gallon each; unless they press down alot, it won't fit in one. I didn't think about that.

Comment

No, it will not fit into 1. You have straining bags, right?
                          REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Gee, wish I had an 8gal primary!

Comment

Yes I have straining bags. I only ordered one packet of yeast though. I made yeast starters for beer from one liquid yeast and use for two batches--I'm wondering if that will work here. The problem with having to order everything is when you realize you need one more little thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X