Loganberries and Pot Met

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loganberries and Pot Met

Hi all, grateful if someone could clue me in as to what's going on here - I picked a load of Loganberries, which unfortunately. got washed and put in the fridge, not the freezer - day or so later, I found them, threw away some iffy soggy looking examples, gave them a quick whisk in a blender, then, in an attempt to kill any nasties, added a "1 gall" measure of Pot Met and returned them to the fridge whilst deciding on their fate.

Looked at them 12 hrs later, and the mix had gone a light pink, creamy colour - if I had juiced the loganberries, and added Pot Met, as in 24 hrs before adding yeast, I would not have expected the must to change colour like this - so does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

Pot met does have a bleaching effect.. did you have a gallon of berries?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

How much did you add and was it potassium or sodium?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Probably only around 2 pints of Loganberry tbh, and just 1 of the tiny measuring spoons, which I am pretty sure are for 1 gallon of must. I was trying to err on the safe /killing side, assuming if I heated the mixture later it would drive any chemicals off.

I used Potassium rather than Sodium. Would either have done the same?

Is this a daft way of trying to even temporarily preserve fruit (the freezer is full of last years harvest .... don't ask) or prevent spoilage for a few days?

Comment

Its about raising sulphur content to about 50ppm or so.

1 campden tablet provides 44 ppm in 1 imp gallon or 50 ppm in 1 US gallon.

If the measuring spoon is for measuring the amount for 1 gallon, then its quite feasible that you effectively gave it a double dose so its quite possible that there might have been some bleaching effect as Brian points out.

Plus heating the fruit material can cause issues with pectins later on.....
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Sodium and potassium are very similar but potassium is said to be stronger (& more expensive).
            Commercial wineries only use sodium metabisulphite washing stuff in.

If you are talking about a domestic set of measuring spoons the smallest one is 2.5 ml.

If this is potassium metabisulphite powder (aka KADIFIT) they have had a massive dose. I use 8 g of powder (which is pretty much 8 pinches) for 50 gallons. that will be why they have bleached. I'm surprised you couldn't smell the sulphur when it hit the juice.

Comment

Other way round....

Sodium metabisulphite is around 8-13% stronger

They have had a very large dose of sulphite, (1/4 teaspoon being enough for a 5 gallon batch) but I wouldnt worry too much about it as the flavour shouldnt have been compromised!

just be careful layter when making wine that you dont add any more sulphite (if making a gallon)

I find it better to make a sulphite solution and add this, I find it a much more accurate measure (5ml per gallon)

I dont like to use a blender with berries containing seeds as smashing the seeds can add bitterness to the finished wine

hope that helps
              regards
              bob
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 23-07-2013, 08:05 AM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The change in colour could simply be a change in pH. Many natural colourings can be used as indicators of pH. Could also be a chemical change due to the SO2.

For instance my rhubarb juice was pink but changed to colourless on addition of a good dose of metabisulphite; pinkness (or some of it) returned when I fermented it.

Potassium has a higher atomic mass than Sodium. Not so far off twice, so the K-metabisulphite will have less sulphur dioxide per unit weight for that reason. I need not go into molecular mases of the two compounds, but the effectiveness is governed by that and also the slightly different reactions of the two elements (although they are very similar - both group I elements and only one row apart in the Periodic Table).

RAB
                Last edited by oliver90owner; 23-07-2013, 08:19 AM. Reason: precision

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  Other way round....

Sodium metabisulphite is around 8-13% stronger
                  Yes indeed - my fingers just can't be trusted to type what I ask them !!

Comment

Red wine is a good indicator of pH. If you've ever used a caustic cleaner on your brew stuff, you'll notice the remains go a funky blue colour.
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

I use truck wash on everything - partly because it gets the red wine stain off so well.

So the funky blue colour is a PH swing then. Makes sense when you think about it, but I never had before. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X