Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best fruit - and the winner is ...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fruit - and the winner is ...........

Like to hear what people like to use in their RED fruit wines - my essentials, in order of priority for a mixed must, would be :-

Elderberry for the only really dark red colour, and dark musky red wine aroma
    Damson for the greatest flavour and attractive colour
    and then maybe, Logan berry for their flavour which is stronger than Blackberry.

Bit disappointed to date with Blackberry, Plum, Cherry, Blackcurrant, Rosehips and Raspberries.

Would love to have done a poll but whilst you can pick a number of options, that seems to be the end of it!

Elderberry/blackberry 50/50 mix is my favourite. I steam them to produce juice before fermentation.

I got my first proper crop of blackcurrants this year which I also steamed and will be using it for additions to lighter wines for colour and tannin.

Raspberries I use sparingly because they are potent in terms of flavour so I tend not to add too many.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Elderberry/blackberry 50/50 mix is my favourite. I steam them to produce juice before fermentation.

I got my first proper crop of blackcurrants this year which I also steamed and will be using it for additions to lighter wines for colour and tannin.

Raspberries I use sparingly because they are potent in terms of flavour so I tend not to add too many.

regards
      Bob
      this leads me to ask the question is it best to mix the fruit at the begining or to ferment each fruit seperatly and then blend later say just before bottling?
      Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

The best fruit wine I made last year was Cranberry/Red Currant.

Ok, so it was the ONLY fruit wine I made last year. But it's still pretty good.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          The best fruit wine I made last year was Cranberry/Red Currant.

Ok, so it was the ONLY fruit wine I made last year. But it's still pretty good.
          Damn! Now there's an idea.......

I've got a good amount of red currants in the freezer, so if I just wait till closer to crimbo for the cranberry supply.......

Maybe you could post your recipe Steve ?

I'd most likely use honey instead of sugar, but the rest of the info would be much appreciated.......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Maybe you could post your recipe Steve ?
            It was based around this recipe: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques58.asp

I just used white cane sugar. I didn't go through the whole invert sugar thing that the recipe mentions, nor did I add any tannin (cranberries and currants both have tannin in spades). As I recall, I gave the berries a rough chop in the food processor and put all the bits into a straining bag. After a week I pulled the bag and racked it into glass. It took FOREVER to finish. I would guess it was around three months before the last bubble burped out of the airlock.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              It was based around this recipe: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques58.asp

I just used white cane sugar. I didn't go through the whole invert sugar thing that the recipe mentions, nor did I add any tannin (cranberries and currants both have tannin in spades). As I recall, I gave the berries a rough chop in the food processor and put all the bits into a straining bag. After a week I pulled the bag and racked it into glass. It took FOREVER to finish. I would guess it was around three months before the last bubble burped out of the airlock.
              Ok, even I should be able to follow a Jack Keller recipe

Weird that those two fruit go together well. I'd have thought opposite types would be a better match.....
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
              X