Sparkling blackberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparkling blackberry

Hey guys, so we brewed up 3 gallons of blackberry wine last august, fermented to dry then degassed and bottled 18 beautiful bottles of loveliness.
    About a month ago I noticed one of the bottles was pushing its cork out of the bottle, so obviously we had to drink that one... It was a lovely sparkling pink wine!
    Because it was so good (although young), we've been steadily making our way through the rest of the stock of bottles (all except 2 were fizzy) until tonight when one actually popped its cork and wasted itself on the floor
    So, we're finishing the last few bottles tonight (rather than waste it), but wondered what on earth caused this... And how can we do it again with this year's crop?

What was the finishing sg? and did it form a sediment in the bottles?

Maybe next year put it in some recycled champagne bottles
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

The finishing sg was 996 ... There was no sediment. It was degassed twice. They've been stored in a fairly cold room, our utility room.

We only have one bottle left ... This makes me sad. Oh well bottoms up.

Comment

I think you should leave this years crop to bulk age for at least 6 months, give it a chance to do its own thing before bottling.
        Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

When you open the next bottle check the SG, to be sparkly it must have uindergone a secondary fermentation, was there sediment in the bopttled (even just a teeny bit)

be very careful handling the bottles.

Bulk ageing would have negated this issue as abervin says

hope that helps
          regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X