This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    Are you trying the new winemaker series of wines?

you should find that they will help you build the skills necessary (I hope) to attempt different types and styles of wine
    but I would love feedback from newbie winemakers such as yourself as to if these tutorials were useful

regards
    Bob
    My wine #1 has finished and is in the bottle. Oops! I was 1 bottle short. I rather liked it. Wine # 2 is finished and is waiting for bottles.
    I guess I use to go at this in a rather difficult manner, because it was never so easy. At this rate I'll be able to have a larger selection come Christmas dinner (maybe). Off to start some tinned fruits.
    Hootus est

Comment

• I've been making wine No. 1 and wine No. 3 and it's very simple to make.

I am now waiting for them to clear, but am looking forward to bottling soon. Beforehand, I have to degas it though. I'm thinking I'll need another month or so.

yay!
      Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
      Twitter: VirtualWineO
      Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• Well finally got around to bottling my tinned strawberry.Gorgeous clear Rose.
        Only got 51/2 bottles so had a glass to try.Very nice and my God strong as well.Will definately be making more of this.Just waiting for my peach and ribena to finish now
        Area reserved for intelligent comments......

Comment

• I have placed a version of this thread in the new winemakers thread, adjusted to form a generic recipe, that should be easier to follow, and more importantly, a recipe that can be "tweaked" by newbies
          as ever boys and girls, your input much appreciated
          regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Damndamndamndamndamn!

Accidentally bought 8 tins of tinned fruit from Tescos. 406g Strawberries @ 25p/tin, 300g Blackberries/currants @48p/tin.

I was definitely going to wait a while before starting anything new. Oh well, I'd better go and find a spare fermenter
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              Accidentally bought 8 tins of tinned fruit from Tescos. 406g Strawberries @ 25p/tin, 300g Blackberries/currants @48p/tin.
              that happens to me all the time too
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Would you expect the Strawberry recipe to ferment vigorously? Getting a bubble every 7 secs or so, with little visible sign of bubbles in the must. SG 1.092.
                Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Yes, quite normal, every must ferments differently, it's all about conditions at the time.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Once it got into its stride, it seemed to go well - thanks for the reassurance

I have just racked at 1.006. I managed to pick up a small amount of solids - just enough to lightly cover the perimeter of the base of the DJ (i.e. a thin ring). Should I rack again or is this OK?

The little I tasted tells me this is going very nicely indeed
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• It will be fine, rack again on completion.
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Bob, have you got a recipe in your book for Tinned Blackcurrants?
                        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• I just racked off a tinned Blackberry wine last night, and it tastes fantastic so far... it came from CJ Berry's book "Winemaking With Canned and Dried Fruit" I've typed the recipe as it's written, so blame Mr Berry for anything you don't agree with/understand!

15oz tin Blackcurrants
                          3 1/4 sugar
                          1/2 tsp citric acid
                          1/2 tsp tannin
                          1tbsp Pectolase
                          1 yeat nutrient tablet
                          Bordeaux yeast
                          Water to 1 Gallon

Blackcurrants are a higly acidic fruit, but since we are using only a small quantity we still need to add a little citric acid to obtain a balaced must. The flavour is also strong, so this is best made as a sweet wine.

Dissolve the sugar in 5 pints boiling water, and simmer the crushed fruit for about 10 minutes. Cool, add the acid, tannin and pectolase and pour into the DJ and fit air lock.

24 hours later introduce the yeast and nutrient and ferment on the pulp for 10 days away from the light to preserve colour.

Strain into clean DJ, filling to the bottom of the neck with water and refit airlock.

Ferment out and rack and bottle as usual.

I started this wine using the above recipe on the 10th April 2008, so far it tastes pretty good, if a little sweet (but I like Blackcurrant wine sweet so that's okay) and it's clearing beautifully.

I'll most likely try this recipe again, but only add sugar to an SG of 1080 and ferment out to about 990 and see how that tastes in comparison to the one aleady done.
                          Unfortunately I didn't take an SG reading at the start of this, so I can't tell you what % the end result will be, but as I said, it's sweetish, which is ok for my personal taste.
                          HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Thank you Her Lushness
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• You're very welcome Mr Goldseal
                              HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Forget that sugar addition, use your hydrometer
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X