This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
    I've made this and used 5 tins for 2 gallons, including the juice in the tin. I think 2 per gallon would suffice but I decided to add the extra as I'd over-bought. One tin certainly didn't seem enough to me, anyway.
    Well some of the CJJ (and other recipes) for tinned fruit do, as you say Jan, seem a bit low on fruit.

Though I suspect that sometimes it depends on what the author was actually aiming for.

I for one, have no qualms in using a bit more fruit, because my memories of fruit/country wines before actually starting to make them myself were sort of like "fruit cordials with a kick".

Hence I like mine to have plenty of the original fruit flavour and not quite as "wine like" as others might like/think.

For instance, When I finally get my frozen kiwi's out of the fridge, I think that there's probably enough for about 3 gallons, but I'll make it a 2 gallon batch so that there's more tannins, "fruitiness" and colour from the fruit. Of course, it may mean that I have to cut down the sugar and possibly other ingredients a little.

I seem to recall that last time I did a tinned strawb, I used either 2 or 3 tins. Plus when I finally get round to doing my "mandarin", it will probably have 4 or 5 tins per gallon.

Just my 2 pence worth!

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Originally posted by mctoon View Post
      Trish, is that all you added 2 tins of strawb?, no juice?

I might give it a go, and another one with extra juice just in case!!!
      Yes, 4 tins for 2 gallons and just the juice/syrup that they were in. It smells lovely so far, really fruity!

Comment

• My first batch of strawberry was made to the original recipe. It went down really well as a medium wine (yeast quit early, at about 1.002).

For my latest batch I added a litre of white grape juice (hopefully to beef it up a bit) and left the fruit in for only a couple of days (there was a tiny bitterness to the first batch, maybe from the seeds?). It fermented to dry but has been sweetened to about 1.002 again.

It is clear and waiting to be bottled - more soon
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Update:

I think my second batch of strawberry, which had a litre of white grape juice, is an improvement over the first:

2 x 406g Tesco Strawberries in juice
          1l carton Tesco Pressed White Grape juice
          1lb 11oz sugar
          3tsp citric acid
          1/2tsp tannin
          1tsp pectolase
          1 B1 tablet
          1tsp Tronomyzol
          71b (Gervin D) yeast

(yes, I know Tronozymol has B1 in it - I didn't know at the time )

Mash the strawberries very gently (I just gave them a gentle squeeze to avoid splitting the seeds). After stabilising, sweeten to around 1.002 - 1.004.
          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• ... and my first 5gal batch of MFK (Modified Fruity Karl) is underway. It contains mods suggested by The Man Himself (replacing pineapple juice with apple juice).
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Mine turned out brilliant! Really chuffed .. no bitterness at all. The 2 gallons have already been polished off by family & friends over Christmas and they loved it! I didn't have to use finings ether, it finished crystal clear! I've bought another 8 tins of strawbs, might try adding the juice as well this time, as suggested above
              Took pics of the finished, bottled wine. Will post once I find them. Have loads of pics from Christmas to sift through

Comment

• So glad your wine turned out so well, Trish, but I'm surprised you didn't use the juice from the fruit as well. Try it this time, thereby having to use less sugar, and I'm sure your wine will be much fruitier.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• I did a Duffbeer

Found a load of tinned fruit at the back of a cupboard and thought 'What the hell, why not'

There's some Apricots in there, few tins of Manderine, and a few tins of Fruit Cocktail

Smells lovely, I'll let you know how it turns out
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Tuco; 28-01-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• Do you think its worth adding some pineapple crush/chunks in there too before I continue(I need to get sugar before I proceed)?

I was going to but was worried it might be too adidic ?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pronay View Post
                      Do you think its worth adding some pineapple crush/chunks in there too before I continue(I need to get sugar before I proceed)?

I was going to but was worried it might be too adidic ?!?
                      Nah it should be just fine, I would add some white grape juice though just for a little vinosity.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                        Nah it should be just fine, I would add some white grape juice though just for a little vinosity.
                        Couldn't I use wine tannin?

Comment

• No, tannin adds astringency not vinosity.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Ok then, I'll add a litre of white grape juice

That will make it up to just over 5 litres

Comment

• Crappp

I just noticed the knot I tied in the straining bag has come undone, and all the fruit is free in the bucket, is this ok?? I was thinking I would just 'punch' down the pulp a couple of times a day then strain into demijohns (thanks Mami for the straining help)

Please tell me all is not lost
                              Last edited by Tuco; 30-01-2009, 05:12 AM.

Comment

• It's fine, straining bag just makes the job tidier and easier when it comes time to remove the pulp

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X