X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StockeyDAW
    replied
    Originally posted by Hippie View Post
    Gotta start with bentonite in the must, later on fine with superkleer, or first with a positive charge fining, then later with a negative charged fining, then progressively tighter filterings, then after all that, sometimes just have to bottle it with an unknown haze.

Thank you for that info - I was contemplating the liquid Pearex Adex below? What ya think?

Pearex Adex, Pectic Enzyme, 1 oz dropper bottle (30 mL). This enzyme complex provides pectinase and hemicellulase activities that are effective in achieving higher sugar and juice extraction and breakdown of solids in pome fruits (pears, apples, and quinces) and other light colored fruits. It is active between 50°F and 130°F and within the pH range of 3.0 to 5.0. Typical usage is 0.5 to 1.5 ml per gallon (10 to 30 drops per gallon). It should be diluted 10 to 20 fold with water and may be added at crushing or in the fermenter.

Leave a comment:

• Hippie
    replied
    Gotta start with bentonite in the must, later on fine with superkleer, or first with a positive charge fining, then later with a negative charged fining, then progressively tighter filterings, then after all that, sometimes just have to bottle it with an unknown haze.

Leave a comment:

• StockeyDAW
    replied
    Originally posted by Hippie View Post
    Alot of fruit here is canned in pear juice. Makes a good wine, but not as good as fresh frozen. Something about pears and the juice though. It does not like to clear. Harder than peach to clear and then if you get the peaches in pear juice......good wine, but double trouble to clear!

I agree! There must be a solution to solve the problem? Interesting pear and peach juice? Cheers DAW

Leave a comment:

• fatbloke
    replied
    Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
    There are some differences in what canned fruits are used for between GB and Canada? For fruit wines and berry fruit that is canned - that is what it is canned for - making fruit or berry wine from canned fruit. The usual fruit that is canned is used for dessert and restaurants use it a lot. We seem to use a lot of frozen goods or fresh where there in GB it seems that more canned goods are used? I find that canned fruit here is generally to syrupy but there are some like pineapples (Unsweetened and some peaches that are canned in water) are good for the home wine use; although I feel that they are generally combined with fresh or frozen fruit. Just some differences - I would think that there is better quality from fresh or frozen as compared to canned? I guess that the cost has to also be considered - here sometime there are good deals to be found on fresh fruits, for less costly berries you would have to go to a you pick site or purchase directly from the farmer - berries in the retail stores are expensive. Cheers DAW
    Hum?
    Well, historically, fruit was canned in sugar syrup.

Uses ? Various.

Though in the last 15 or so years, a lot more fruits have been canned in "juice".

Some of that is the "health kick" to get away from sugar based stuff. Some of it also seems connected to being able to use it in a "more natural" way - in other words, if you want it sharp/tart tasting, then if it's a fruit of that nature, then you can have it like that etc etc.

The juice seems to be apple juice, more often than not.

As the food world has changed (in respect of the UK), then it's become easier to get fresh stuff - stuff that just doesn't grow naturally here. Some of the more "exotic" items can be grown under glass (in a commercial stylie), but theres been a fair number of benefits of the commonwealth/former empire. Inasfaras, the locations where stuff can be grown commercially, at "reasonable" (?) cost - to whit, Kenya being a favourite of the supermarket chains.

The rest of the stuff is mainly seasonal i.e. "summer" fruit, apples, pears, etc etc (don't forget theres good geographical reasons why some fruits/brews are attached mainly to a few locations - think cider and the UK "west country" and/or Normandy region of France).

Is that a correct response ? Dunno, but it does explain a few differences.

Summer fruits, still tend to be a bit dearer than say, apples (irrespective of whether it's grown in the UK or not).

Plus there's the issue of population density. I'm guessing that the UK is probably one of, if not the most densely populated countries in Europe. Of course, it's not as dire as it sounds, any decent satellite photo will show you that, but it's often been the case (particularly in recent years) that there's more profitable use of land than agriculture.

I didn't spot whether Bob's "canned Strawb' was racked off the pulp or not (mines still got about 4 days on the pulp before straining), mine is looking similar in colour - Oh and I used 2 tins of Strawberries in "light" syrup, but also an extra one of strawb's in juice, to control the colour mainly, but also to be more accurate in the application of the sugar element.

I'm hoping mine will taste quite, well, "strawberryish", but sweet like a dessert wine (my memory of the fruit wines that were brewed by gales was like that). I'll have to wait and see.

regards

fatbloke

Leave a comment:

• Hippie
    replied
    Alot of fruit here is canned in pear juice. Makes a good wine, but not as good as fresh frozen. Something about pears and the juice though. It does not like to clear. Harder than peach to clear and then if you get the peaches in pear juice......good wine, but double trouble to clear!

Leave a comment:

• StockeyDAW
    replied
    There are some differences in what canned fruits are used for between GB and Canada? For fruit wines and berry fruit that is canned - that is what it is canned for - making fruit or berry wine from canned fruit. The usual fruit that is canned is used for dessert and restaurants use it a lot. We seem to use a lot of frozen goods or fresh where there in GB it seems that more canned goods are used? I find that canned fruit here is generally to syrupy but there are some like pineapples (Unsweetened and some peaches that are canned in water) are good for the home wine use; although I feel that they are generally combined with fresh or frozen fruit. Just some differences - I would think that there is better quality from fresh or frozen as compared to canned? I guess that the cost has to also be considered - here sometime there are good deals to be found on fresh fruits, for less costly berries you would have to go to a you pick site or purchase directly from the farmer - berries in the retail stores are expensive. Cheers DAW

Leave a comment:

• StockeyDAW
    replied
    Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    racked into 15 litre water bottle (from ASDA)
    Nice looking strawberry for tinned? As good as fresh strawberries? Cheers DAW

Yes both different, though the sorbate I buy is in powdered form, campden is sulphite (preserver) sorbate is fermentation stopper, never use sorbate without adding campden tablet (sulphite)
    Yep, campden potassium sulphite preserver; SORBATE -stabilizing wines having residual sugar and to prevent renewed yeast activity and bottle fermentation because of sugar still present.?? Cheers DAW

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    Tinned strawberry

racked into 15 litre water bottle (from ASDA)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• yul
    replied
    Thanks guys & gals.

Leave a comment:

• Duffbeer
    replied
    Yes both different, though the sorbate I buy is in powdered form, camden is sulphite (preserver) sorbate is fermentation stopper, never use sorbate without adding camden tablet (sulphite)

Leave a comment:

• medpretzel
    replied
    Originally posted by yul View Post
    Contains 30 tablets Potassium Sorbate 800mg. Each tablet provides 180ppm in one gallon . Add 1 or 2 Campden tablets immediately prior to use.
    ??

Sorbate comes in tablet form?

I might be totally missing something here, but sorbate and campden are two different things.

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    then add 1 per gallon plus 1 campden tablet per gallon, once the wine has finished fermenting (same SG three days in a row, once below 1.000) and sweeten to desired taste

Leave a comment:

• yul
    replied
    Contains 30 tablets Potassium Sorbate 800mg. Each tablet provides 180ppm in one gallon . Add 1 or 2 Campden tablets immediately prior to use.

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    Are they labelled as stabiliser or campden tablets?

180ppm?
    that can only be measured once its added to something i think???

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    Not come across those, what do the instructions on the tub/packet say?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X