Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might find it easier in a bucket. You'll need to punch down the 'cap' of fruit which forms on top of the must two or three times a day, which is easier in a bucket (although I have used plastic 5 litre fermenters for mine, and just inverted the whole thing).

A bucket will be easier to clean when you rack off the fruit.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I'm making a tinned strawberries wine, started yesterday, smells pretty nasty, like hard boiled eggs or something, is this normal???

Comment

• Ferments on pulp produce all sorts of funky smells

I'm sure its fine
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Having made tine fruit wine is the past I can recommend it. For me this is closer to a 10 gallon recipe at first glance.

What was the OG or did the hydrometer fire its self into the ceiling the second you let go of it? LOL

Brian
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Ouch what a hangover.

My last post, was about the tinned fruit conconction on page one

Sorry n'all
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              What was the OG or did the hydrometer fire its self into the ceiling the second you let go of it?
              If the recipe is followed to the letter the SG will be around the 1.070-1.090 mark depending on the juice makeyup in the Tin

10 gallons?
              from one tin of fruit?

you need another coffee Brian
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I think he means this

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                It's good to see you folks have Bob's spelling problems diagnosed to his allergy to tannin, never blame the plonk!,LOL,

Now thinking crazy, I have a box full of tinned fruit from my mothers house which is near due to expire it's best by date, so I thought what the hell and decided to do a Duff special and throw it all in a tub.
                I have no idea what will be the end result, but if you guys and girls can think of anything I have missed to make this work please let me know. Oh and before I write the ingredient list Iv'e run out of pectic enzyme, so have used bentonite (hell I'm a novice I can do silly things)

Here goes5 gal)

1100g Grapefruit
                1700g Pears
                2300g Peaches
                320g Manderin
                525g Rhubarb
                425g Tropical mixed fruit
                385g apple

Gave it all a jolly good mashing, tally ho.

Added:
                Two frogs legs and some DUFFBEER dna (just kidding) although Duffbeer dna is good,

8lb sugar
                2 tsp bentonite
                7 tsp pectolase
                4 tsp tannin
                3 tsp citric acid
                4 tsp nutrient
                2 tsp Harris super yeast.

So that's that, drain cleaner or one to give to those new friends we get when they hear your wine cellars full, lol.

I'll try to keep you updated....Karl.
                I wish I was a glow worm
                Cos a glow worm's never glum
                It's hard to be unhappy
                When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

then coffee for Bob coming right up!
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• If you pop across the channel on occasions, Carrefour's own brand fruit syrups make a great addition to tinned fruit wines.

From the label of a 75 cl tin of the strawberry syrup.

"This syrup is made from strawberry juice concentrate. The guarantee 100% pure sugar leads to the full power of flavors and aromas

On that. fruit juices made with concentrate: 30% reconstitutes (including strawberry: 15% lemon, blackcurrant) aromas water" Google translation.

The last batch I made I used 1 420gram tin of Tesco strawberries, I litres grape juice and one 75cl tin of Sirop de Fraise, made up to 3 ltrs produced an SG of 1.092. added 350 grams of sugar to make up to 4.5 litres.

They do quite an extensive range, and its cheaper than grape juice or tinned fruit.

Comment

• I have just started my first gallon batch of strawberry wine and was pleased at how easily & cheap the recipe was. I am going to start doing lots more of these types of recipes, but just wondered if i wanted to get a full boied red, maybe mix tins of plums & blackberrys or whatever. Or is it just not possible to get full bodied reds with tinned fruits?

Comment

• I've managed to do so with apricots, peaches and strawberries. I just use an extra tin or two of fruit. They're so cheap that the 'profit' margin per bottle is hardly affected.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Strawberry was at around 10.10, strained into a demijohn, washed and sanitised equipment and am now starting a tinned Peaches one

Comment

• I was just looking at some notes I made, started tinned strawberry on the 21st, checked it today, 29th and it was already down to 0.090 or somewhere there abouts, was this just a really fast fermentation? I was using champagne yeast, is that possible?
                            Last edited by Tuco; 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• If the conditions are right fermentation can be lightening fast, i've had batches ferment to dry in 4 days.
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• I had a strawberry go from 1.088 to 0.990 in 8 days on 71B yeast.
                                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
                                X