Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I just checked on my tinned Peach wine, it was in the bucket for 10 days, and it's been in a better bottle + a empty scrumpy bottle for about a week, is it me or does this stuff clear very easily? The last tinned one I made was the same

It's not totally clear, cloudy, but I can see my hand through it, and the last one, I added finings and it was clear as a bell in 24 hours, not much color either, but definitely a taste of peaches in it.

Comment

• I have to say since joining here, my fermentation times have dropped. I think its the acid adjustments and change of yeasts that have made the difference for me, making a more hospitable environment for the yeasts. I used to use a general yeast, and got acceptable results. Now I expect more. My latest batch of 4x 1 gallons to dry in 6 days with 1 sachet of D47 at 21C (and thats been described here as a lazy bugger).

Comment

• Originally posted by Pyrosfx View Post
        I have to say since joining here, my fermentation times have dropped. I think its the acid adjustments and change of yeasts that have made the difference for me, making a more hospitable environment for the yeasts. I used to use a general yeast, and got acceptable results. Now I expect more. My latest batch of 4x 1 gallons to dry in 6 days with 1 sachet of D47 at 21C (and thats been described here as a lazy bugger).
        Totally agree since switching to Lalvin champagne yeast EC1118 from a gen purpose yeast the fermentation times have been lightening fast!
        I would also say the wines have cleared faster and taste better no trace of yeastiness young as they are.
        Now have a starter bottle of the same yeast on the go has started 3 seperate gallons no problem.

Was a sceptic at first and now converted!

Would like to try the D47 is that best for whites or reds?
        Last edited by plonky; 04-04-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• It was a thread here that first pointed me to it, but can't think which one. The litrature says
          "known to accentuate fruit characteristics and bring volume and complexity to white wines." and I wanted to try the battonage, with tinned peach and mango which this is supposed to be good for. I've made 2 gallons, and going to leave one on the lees and bottle one as normal. (I'm learning patience)

Have to say, I also made an aldi summer fruits and red grape juice as part of the batch, and the raspberry really stands out over the dryness (6 days old).

Comment

• Found this info on Lalvin yeast

Comment

• Thanks for the link

I think I'm going to switch from Gervin Yellow to Lalvin EC-1118

Comment

• Hi again everyone
                Just started another 4 Gallons of the tinned strawberry. Added 4 cartons of grape juice this time to see if there's much difference, although it was yum! without it last time

Comment

• Funnily enough, I started 5 gallons of tinned Strawberry yesterday.

I always use 1 litre Tesco White Grape per gallon now. It definitely improves the wine (obviously reduce the sugar accordingly).
                  Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Oooooops! How daft can you get ... I didn't think about needing less sugar, so didn't reduce quantity! Can I do anything to counteract the overload of sugar? Will it ruin the wine?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trish View Post

Oooooops! How daft can you get ... I didn't think about needing less sugar, so didn't reduce quantity! Can I do anything to counteract the overload of sugar? Will it ruin the wine?

Thanks.
                      You should be OK. This is my reasoning ...

Tesco White Grape has 156g of sugar per litre. You have added 4l, so call it 600g sugar.

4 gallons is about 18 litres, so you have added about 33g/litre extra sugar.

This is roughly the difference of a starting SG of 1.080 and 1.090.

You might end up with a wine with just over 1% extra alcohol. This shouldn't make much of a diffrence, but it might take a couple of months to smooth out before it is really drinkable.

What was your starting SG, by the way?
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Phewwwwww!
                        Thanks for that Goldseal, doesn't seem too drastic then.

Starting SG is 1070. Does that seem ok?

Comment

• If 1.070 is the SG you actually measured once your must was prepared, you'll be fine. Mine usually start off at 1.080 to 1.085, so you shouldn't have any problems at all.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Thanks, yes it was 1.070 when I checked after
                            adding everything (except the yeast& nutrient).
                            Hopefully it'll start to ferment ok, now that I've added those today.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it

Comment

• Tinned Grapefruit.

Hi All!
                              This is my first post as I am new to Winemaking.
                              Have started a couple of brews over the last few days but this one has me stumped.
                              My wife has a leftover 3kg.tin of Grpaefruit in a light syrup. I have looked in CJJ. Berry's book but the only reference is for whole Grapefruit, could anyone please suggest a recipe for a medium to sweet brew?
                              I also require a few more ingredients namely, Malt and Wheat. I have been to Holland and Barrets and they stock both but in different varieties. The wheat is in large packets but there are many varieties, which one do I go for? Sorry can't remember what they are, should have taken notes but I believe one was Maize? The Malt is in the form of a liquid, is this correct or should I look for dried?
                              Sorry for being so vague, if necessry I will pop back down to the shop and take notes.
                              Hope someone can assist!
                              Many thanks for taking the trouble to read this.
                              Wingchun

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post

Fruit cocktail

For 1 gallon (4.54 litres)
                                all measurements are UK imperial

2 X 15oz tins fruit cocktail
                                Sugar to SG 1.080
                                1 teaspoon citric acid
                                1 teaspoon tannin
                                2 teaspoons pectolase
                                1 vitamin B1 tablet (or yeast energiser)
                                Good quality yeast
                                Water to 1 Gallon

Pour the syrup from the can into the primary fermenter, liquidise or mash the fruit with a potato masher (remove any cherry stones first)
                                Boil 4 pints of water and dissolve the sugar in it, place fruit pulp into primary and pour over the sugar syrup.

Allow to cool to 70 F add the acid, tannin and pectolase, stir well and cover and leave for 24 hours (to allow the pectolase to work)
                                next day stir thoroughly and add water to 1 gallon, add the yeast energiser and yeast, leave enough room for a head to form during fermentation fit airlock
                                stir daily, when S.G. reaches 1.010 strain and rack to demijohn.

ferment out racking and bottling as normal.
                                I have started my first batch of the above and am confused over the SG measurements.

I made sure the 4 pints of water mixed with sugar was 1.080 and then added it to the fruit and syrup in the dj. It only took about 2/3rds of a bag of sugar is this right or should I check the SG of the must now its all mixed together? and if so should that also be 1.080?

Also I have been reading about adding grape juice. Am I right in thinking that if i do this i miss out the sugar and get the mixed must to a SG of 1.080?

Comment

Working...
                                X