Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep does the same job.........Karl sell it.

Hobbywne Supplies

Comment

• Confused again!

I've read somewhere on the WAH site that some fruit can be added at a late stage to improve or highlight taste.

Taking up a suggestion by Lockwood and some advice from Goldseal, I'm making a 1 gallon variant of WN1 adding tinned Lychees. The question that is raised is ......do I add both tins of fruit at the start, or keep some back to add when SG drops to about .010?

Comment

• You can do it either way.

Adding the fruit late does give you a fruitier wine.

In the case of lychee, you may or may not prefer the fruitier version. If you have never tried Lychee before, maybe the more subtle (add-at-the-start) version would be the way to go for your first batch.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
          Yes both different, though the sorbate I buy is in powdered form, camden is sulphite (preserver) sorbate is fermentation stopper, never use sorbate without adding camden tablet (sulphite)
          I'm planning on starting my first tinned and fresh fruit wines in the next week or so, i've been making kit wines up till now.

In terms of additions etc I've bought; bentonite, yeast, yeast nutrient, pectolase, tannin, citric acid, tannin and campden tab's.

Do I need to buy a fermentation stopper, or can i assume once its stopped fermenting and I add a campden i'll be safe?

In terms of recipes i'm not sure what i'm making yet, i'm just going to see what's in the shop on thursday. I'll list what i buy though and if anyone has recipes, they would be greatly received.
          Last edited by Holly; 01-05-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly View Post
            Do I need to buy a fermentation stopper, or can i assume once its stopped fermenting and I add a campden i'll be safe?
            If fermentation is finished you only need sorbate if you intend to sweeten.....to determine when ferment is finished you will need a hydrometer

Your Hydrometer is your friend!!!

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Don't worry, I already love my hydrometer!

Thanks Bob

Comment

• Splendid!
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Right, so I've got:

8 x small tins of broken mandarins
                  2 x normal sized tins of fruit cocktail
                  1ltr pomegranate and blueberry juice
                  2 x 1ltr white grape juice
                  2. X 1ltr red grape juice

As an addition to that I'm sure I've also got some normal sized tins of peaches at home already

Making wine with tinned fruit and juices is brand new so can anyone suggest recipies with step by step guides, or link me to posts with a recipe I can use? I'm thinking table red No 2, but I only have normal sugar for back sweetening.

I look forward to you all giving me some great ideas
                  Last edited by Holly; 04-05-2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• I found this mandarin recipe while having a hunt around the site:

3 x 312g Tesco Mandarins
                    1 x Tesco White Grape Juice
                    2 x handfuls sultanas, chopped a bit in the food processor
                    1lb 4oz sugar (to SG 1.080)
                    1tsp citric acid (guesswork)
                    1tsp pectolase
                    1tsp yeast nutrient
                    Lalvin D47 yeast

I'll pick up some raisins on the way home.
                    If someone could still give me or point me towards a step by step guide from start to finish inc. where to add the extra bits and how to finish the wine after fermentation then i'll be much more confident.

I'm hoping to get this going this weekend, but i'm away from home Thurs, Fri and Sat. I've only bought standard Youngs yeast, so does anyone have any idea if my wines will be ready for its first racking before i go (start up on Sun probably and temp maintained with a brew belt)? Knowing my luck the SG will get to 1.010 while i'm away! I could wait till i get back, but then i'm away the following Wed, Thurs and Fri with work!

Comment

• You will find pretty much all you need to know here

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thankyou Bob

I'm planning to try the mandarin recipe, fruit cocktail one from the beginning of this thread as well as white No1 and red No2.

I think i need to have a tidy up and move around first, just not enough room for all my bottles!

Comment

• Originally posted by Holly View Post
                          I think i need to have a tidy up and move around first, just not enough room for all my bottles!
                          haha

thats not how it works.......once you make room.....you will fill it with bottles!

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            haha

thats not how it works.......once you make room.....you will fill it with bottles!

Oh yes .
                            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I've made space, its now full of empty bottles and demijohn's!

Mandarin and fruit cocktail made yesterday. The Mandarin is bubbling nicely this morning, no movement in the fruit cocktail though Its been made 22 hrs and i've been keeping it warm, around 22.

Fingers crossed it decides to do something.

Comment

• Quick question; how early is too early to remove the must in tinned fruit wine?

I ask because I go away on Thursday and no one will be here to do the job. Currently my mandarin is on 1.040 and at the rate its going there's a good chance it will hit 1.010 before i go so i can deal with it. The fruit cocktail is only on 1.060 and is takign things glently, so i'd be surprised if it reaches 1.010. If I take the fruit away early is it going to have a major impact?

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                                X