Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, time to rack off the fruit, but do not stabilize until the ferment is finished, below SG 1.000. As the fermentation slows, top up the demijon or carboy. Rack off gross lees and stabilize when fermentation is finished, then you can start the clearing process.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Just tested the gravity again two days later and it's still at 1010.Does that mean its finished fermenting or does it ferment that slow. If it hasn't stopped can I sop it and keep it at that as wifey just tasted it and says its not to sweet.

Comment

You can stop it whenever it tastes right.

Comment

So a couple of campden tablets then,I dont want to add sorbate as I read somewhere it adds off flavour to the wine.

Comment

If you like the taste then, yes, go ahead.

However 1 glug a minute does not means it's finished. The water in the air lock should equalise, or at least not move, and no glugs at all should be happening.

Leave it for a couple more days and see if it's bubbling - you can always sweeten it back up once it's finished.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by yul View Post
              So a couple of campden tablets then,I dont want to add sorbate as I read somewhere it adds off flavour to the wine.

as Mamgiowl says
              let it finish fermenting, you can back sweeten if you want later, trying to stop active fermentations can be tricky at best.
              Sorbate will only add an off flavour if it is added without sulphite at the same time. and you cannot stop fermentation by adding campden tablets.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks very helpful,just one more question for, sorry to be a pain but I have stabiliser in tablet form, each tablet contains 180 ppm, how many do I add per gallon.

Comment

Not come across those, what do the instructions on the tub/packet say?
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Are they labelled as stabiliser or campden tablets?

180ppm?
                    that can only be measured once its added to something i think???
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Contains 30 tablets Potassium Sorbate 800mg. Each tablet provides 180ppm in one gallon . Add 1 or 2 Campden tablets immediately prior to use.

Comment

then add 1 per gallon plus 1 campden tablet per gallon, once the wine has finished fermenting (same SG three days in a row, once below 1.000) and sweeten to desired taste
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by yul View Post
                          Contains 30 tablets Potassium Sorbate 800mg. Each tablet provides 180ppm in one gallon . Add 1 or 2 Campden tablets immediately prior to use.
                          ??

Sorbate comes in tablet form?

I might be totally missing something here, but sorbate and campden are two different things.
                          Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                          Twitter: VirtualWineO
                          Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Yes both different, though the sorbate I buy is in powdered form, camden is sulphite (preserver) sorbate is fermentation stopper, never use sorbate without adding camden tablet (sulphite)
                            Discount Home Brew Supplies
                            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                            National Wine Judge
                            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks guys & gals.

Comment

Tinned strawberry

racked into 15 litre water bottle (from ASDA)
                                Attached Files
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X