This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    racked into 15 litre water bottle (from ASDA)
    Nice looking strawberry for tinned? As good as fresh strawberries? Cheers DAW

Yes both different, though the sorbate I buy is in powdered form, campden is sulphite (preserver) sorbate is fermentation stopper, never use sorbate without adding campden tablet (sulphite)
    Yep, campden potassium sulphite preserver; SORBATE -stabilizing wines having residual sugar and to prevent renewed yeast activity and bottle fermentation because of sugar still present.?? Cheers DAW

Comment

There are some differences in what canned fruits are used for between GB and Canada? For fruit wines and berry fruit that is canned - that is what it is canned for - making fruit or berry wine from canned fruit. The usual fruit that is canned is used for dessert and restaurants use it a lot. We seem to use a lot of frozen goods or fresh where there in GB it seems that more canned goods are used? I find that canned fruit here is generally to syrupy but there are some like pineapples (Unsweetened and some peaches that are canned in water) are good for the home wine use; although I feel that they are generally combined with fresh or frozen fruit. Just some differences - I would think that there is better quality from fresh or frozen as compared to canned? I guess that the cost has to also be considered - here sometime there are good deals to be found on fresh fruits, for less costly berries you would have to go to a you pick site or purchase directly from the farmer - berries in the retail stores are expensive. Cheers DAW

Comment

Alot of fruit here is canned in pear juice. Makes a good wine, but not as good as fresh frozen. Something about pears and the juice though. It does not like to clear. Harder than peach to clear and then if you get the peaches in pear juice......good wine, but double trouble to clear!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
          There are some differences in what canned fruits are used for between GB and Canada? For fruit wines and berry fruit that is canned - that is what it is canned for - making fruit or berry wine from canned fruit. The usual fruit that is canned is used for dessert and restaurants use it a lot. We seem to use a lot of frozen goods or fresh where there in GB it seems that more canned goods are used? I find that canned fruit here is generally to syrupy but there are some like pineapples (Unsweetened and some peaches that are canned in water) are good for the home wine use; although I feel that they are generally combined with fresh or frozen fruit. Just some differences - I would think that there is better quality from fresh or frozen as compared to canned? I guess that the cost has to also be considered - here sometime there are good deals to be found on fresh fruits, for less costly berries you would have to go to a you pick site or purchase directly from the farmer - berries in the retail stores are expensive. Cheers DAW
          Hum?
          Well, historically, fruit was canned in sugar syrup.

Uses ? Various.

Though in the last 15 or so years, a lot more fruits have been canned in "juice".

Some of that is the "health kick" to get away from sugar based stuff. Some of it also seems connected to being able to use it in a "more natural" way - in other words, if you want it sharp/tart tasting, then if it's a fruit of that nature, then you can have it like that etc etc.

The juice seems to be apple juice, more often than not.

As the food world has changed (in respect of the UK), then it's become easier to get fresh stuff - stuff that just doesn't grow naturally here. Some of the more "exotic" items can be grown under glass (in a commercial stylie), but theres been a fair number of benefits of the commonwealth/former empire. Inasfaras, the locations where stuff can be grown commercially, at "reasonable" (?) cost - to whit, Kenya being a favourite of the supermarket chains.

The rest of the stuff is mainly seasonal i.e. "summer" fruit, apples, pears, etc etc (don't forget theres good geographical reasons why some fruits/brews are attached mainly to a few locations - think cider and the UK "west country" and/or Normandy region of France).

Is that a correct response ? Dunno, but it does explain a few differences.

Summer fruits, still tend to be a bit dearer than say, apples (irrespective of whether it's grown in the UK or not).

Plus there's the issue of population density. I'm guessing that the UK is probably one of, if not the most densely populated countries in Europe. Of course, it's not as dire as it sounds, any decent satellite photo will show you that, but it's often been the case (particularly in recent years) that there's more profitable use of land than agriculture.

I didn't spot whether Bob's "canned Strawb' was racked off the pulp or not (mines still got about 4 days on the pulp before straining), mine is looking similar in colour - Oh and I used 2 tins of Strawberries in "light" syrup, but also an extra one of strawb's in juice, to control the colour mainly, but also to be more accurate in the application of the sugar element.

I'm hoping mine will taste quite, well, "strawberryish", but sweet like a dessert wine (my memory of the fruit wines that were brewed by gales was like that). I'll have to wait and see.

regards

fatbloke
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
            Alot of fruit here is canned in pear juice. Makes a good wine, but not as good as fresh frozen. Something about pears and the juice though. It does not like to clear. Harder than peach to clear and then if you get the peaches in pear juice......good wine, but double trouble to clear!

I agree! There must be a solution to solve the problem? Interesting pear and peach juice? Cheers DAW

Comment

Gotta start with bentonite in the must, later on fine with superkleer, or first with a positive charge fining, then later with a negative charged fining, then progressively tighter filterings, then after all that, sometimes just have to bottle it with an unknown haze.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Gotta start with bentonite in the must, later on fine with superkleer, or first with a positive charge fining, then later with a negative charged fining, then progressively tighter filterings, then after all that, sometimes just have to bottle it with an unknown haze.

Thank you for that info - I was contemplating the liquid Pearex Adex below? What ya think?

Pearex Adex, Pectic Enzyme, 1 oz dropper bottle (30 mL). This enzyme complex provides pectinase and hemicellulase activities that are effective in achieving higher sugar and juice extraction and breakdown of solids in pome fruits (pears, apples, and quinces) and other light colored fruits. It is active between 50°F and 130°F and within the pH range of 3.0 to 5.0. Typical usage is 0.5 to 1.5 ml per gallon (10 to 30 drops per gallon). It should be diluted 10 to 20 fold with water and may be added at crushing or in the fermenter.

Comment

FB thank you for your response -- well put... Cheers DAW

Comment

Well, that's it - my first attempt bottled!!

YAY!!!

Here's my first ever brew, all bottled and labelled. Didn't quite get the shrink top right though - DOH!!!

So - what ya think!!??!?!??!

BTW, tried some of this last night - VERY NICE!! In fact, was so nice, am going to do another 2 1 gallon batches today (or a may just do a 5 gall batch and be done with it!!)
                    Attached Files
                    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Hey man, they look 10 times nicer than my first bottles!

How's it taste?

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hey man, they look 10 times nicer than my first bottles!

How's it taste?

A lot nicer than i expected to be honest. Medium dry, with a lovely strawberry hint. Think it can only get better with age, however, these 4 bottles will be drunk in about 6 weeks at my sons christening. Having said that, based on the fact that the wine is eminently quaffable, another 5 gallon batch will be on the go today

Thanks for the compliment re the bottles, i like to make them look as good as i can. Google is always your friend when it comes to looking for non-descript landscape drawings to put on the front of a wine bottle!!! I think that having a landscape picture like this one creates quite a professional looking label.
                        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Keep those 4 bottles somewhere stable, dark, and free of vibration for 6 weeks and the wine will change more than you imagine it can.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Dave, those labels are awesome! (the wine looks pretty good too )
                            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Well done Dave, as said before they look better than my first bottles too!

Re the shrink wrap tops, I found the best way for small batches is in the steam from a kettle, or for bigger batches a pan of boiling water and dunk the upside down bottle in for about 3 seconds. (you might even be able to get yours to tighten up in some steam.)

Rich

Comment

Well done Dave, looking good...

I also dunk my shrink tops (upside down held on with slotted spoon) into a pan of boiling water, tightens them up nicely, but am always a little wary about water ingress into the cork, and moisture staying under the shrink cap, as a consequence I don't put shrink tops on at the moment, but like always my ideas on this may change in the future..

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X