X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trish
    replied
    Hi again everyone
    Just started another 4 Gallons of the tinned strawberry. Added 4 cartons of grape juice this time to see if there's much difference, although it was yum! without it last time

Leave a comment:

• Tuco
    replied
    Thanks for the link

I think I'm going to switch from Gervin Yellow to Lalvin EC-1118

Leave a comment:

• plonky
    replied
    Found this info on Lalvin yeast

Leave a comment:

• Pyrosfx
    replied
    It was a thread here that first pointed me to it, but can't think which one. The litrature says
    "known to accentuate fruit characteristics and bring volume and complexity to white wines." and I wanted to try the battonage, with tinned peach and mango which this is supposed to be good for. I've made 2 gallons, and going to leave one on the lees and bottle one as normal. (I'm learning patience)

Have to say, I also made an aldi summer fruits and red grape juice as part of the batch, and the raspberry really stands out over the dryness (6 days old).

Leave a comment:

• plonky
    replied
    Originally posted by Pyrosfx View Post
    I have to say since joining here, my fermentation times have dropped. I think its the acid adjustments and change of yeasts that have made the difference for me, making a more hospitable environment for the yeasts. I used to use a general yeast, and got acceptable results. Now I expect more. My latest batch of 4x 1 gallons to dry in 6 days with 1 sachet of D47 at 21C (and thats been described here as a lazy bugger).
    Totally agree since switching to Lalvin champagne yeast EC1118 from a gen purpose yeast the fermentation times have been lightening fast!
    I would also say the wines have cleared faster and taste better no trace of yeastiness young as they are.
    Now have a starter bottle of the same yeast on the go has started 3 seperate gallons no problem.

Was a sceptic at first and now converted!

Would like to try the D47 is that best for whites or reds?
    Last edited by plonky; 04-04-2009, 01:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pyrosfx
    replied
    I have to say since joining here, my fermentation times have dropped. I think its the acid adjustments and change of yeasts that have made the difference for me, making a more hospitable environment for the yeasts. I used to use a general yeast, and got acceptable results. Now I expect more. My latest batch of 4x 1 gallons to dry in 6 days with 1 sachet of D47 at 21C (and thats been described here as a lazy bugger).

Leave a comment:

• Tuco
    replied
    So I just checked on my tinned Peach wine, it was in the bucket for 10 days, and it's been in a better bottle + a empty scrumpy bottle for about a week, is it me or does this stuff clear very easily? The last tinned one I made was the same

It's not totally clear, cloudy, but I can see my hand through it, and the last one, I added finings and it was clear as a bell in 24 hours, not much color either, but definitely a taste of peaches in it.

Leave a comment:

• goldseal
    replied
    I had a strawberry go from 1.088 to 0.990 in 8 days on 71B yeast.

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    If the conditions are right fermentation can be lightening fast, i've had batches ferment to dry in 4 days.

Leave a comment:

• Tuco
    replied
    I was just looking at some notes I made, started tinned strawberry on the 21st, checked it today, 29th and it was already down to 0.090 or somewhere there abouts, was this just a really fast fermentation? I was using champagne yeast, is that possible?
    Last edited by Tuco; 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tuco
    replied
    Strawberry was at around 10.10, strained into a demijohn, washed and sanitised equipment and am now starting a tinned Peaches one

Leave a comment:

• Mamgiowl
    replied
    I've managed to do so with apricots, peaches and strawberries. I just use an extra tin or two of fruit. They're so cheap that the 'profit' margin per bottle is hardly affected.

Leave a comment:

• hong
    replied
    I have just started my first gallon batch of strawberry wine and was pleased at how easily & cheap the recipe was. I am going to start doing lots more of these types of recipes, but just wondered if i wanted to get a full boied red, maybe mix tins of plums & blackberrys or whatever. Or is it just not possible to get full bodied reds with tinned fruits?

Leave a comment:

• Pyrosfx
    replied
    If you pop across the channel on occasions, Carrefour's own brand fruit syrups make a great addition to tinned fruit wines.

From the label of a 75 cl tin of the strawberry syrup.

"This syrup is made from strawberry juice concentrate. The guarantee 100% pure sugar leads to the full power of flavors and aromas

On that. fruit juices made with concentrate: 30% reconstitutes (including strawberry: 15% lemon, blackcurrant) aromas water" Google translation.

The last batch I made I used 1 420gram tin of Tesco strawberries, I litres grape juice and one 75cl tin of Sirop de Fraise, made up to 3 ltrs produced an SG of 1.092. added 350 grams of sugar to make up to 4.5 litres.

They do quite an extensive range, and its cheaper than grape juice or tinned fruit.

Leave a comment:

• lockwood1956
    replied
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

then coffee for Bob coming right up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X