Tinned Fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
    Next time you need tannin, throw in a teabag or 2.

Will do. I suppose there is an opportunity there to use 'flavoured' teabags. I teabag that is infused with mint might work well with strawberry.
    Boo

Comment

Having once tasted mint wine, all I can say is be very, very careful
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I just took an SG reading of my tinned strawberry in primary, 1075... I was surprised to see it was this high after 2 days.

Either the SG was quite high to start with (I forgot to take one ) or it is dropping slowly. This should have a nice kick when it finishes.

What would you guys do, let it ferment out to dry or step in at a specific SG, say off-dry and stabilise?
        Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
          Having once tasted mint wine, all I can say is be very, very careful
          I made a strawberry wine last July from fresh strawberries and added some freshly chopped mint leaves to the primary.

It tasted super going into the bottle but have yet to open one, waiting 'til spring before I crack the first one, Im hoping it will make a nice refreshing summer drink.
          Boo

Comment

Can you do that? add nutrient later on?
            Boo

Comment

As long as the yeast isn't completely dead. It perks it up a treat when they're just feeling weak and tired
              Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                I just took an SG reading of my tinned strawberry in primary, 1075... I was surprised to see it was this high after 2 days.

Either the SG was quite high to start with (I forgot to take one ) or it is dropping slowly. This should have a nice kick when it finishes.

What would you guys do, let it ferment out to dry or step in at a specific SG, say off-dry and stabilise?
                Whoa. I’m lost on this one. You didn’t give much information and yet much was volunteered. We by passed the info and went right on to vanilla and mint. As far as that goes I’ve used vanilla a lot and for me - I love it. Mint I like, but I’m not sure about it as an additive.

It’s the other items and sg that puzzles me. Tannin and Enzymes should have been added from the git go, but how did David know you hadn’t, which from your answer you hadn’t. I agree I would think you could add any of those ingredience that you missed now. I see from a batch of strawberry wine I made two years ago from Jack Keller, swat man, undercover guy - good guy, that I also added a can of white grape juice. Definitely let the batch run dry and then sweeten it to taste > potassium sorbate and residual SO2.

I don’t know what tinned strawberries are, but canned I guess and how much sugar is in them, so I’m not sure how you can make any adjustments, but do as suggested and let it run it’s course. If you didn’t add sugar or even if you did you should be able to calculate that if you have anymore tinned strawberries. 1.075 sounds like one way or another, you had enough sugar. The sg test two days after what? The start of fermentation? I’m pretty much into voo doo, but what was the temperature? Too many questions I know.

When I last did Strawberries I had clicker strawberries out of Walla Walla, Washington, fresh, sliced and I used 10 lbs, with 9 lbs of rhubarb and 14 lbs of sugar. It turned out rather well, but since I’m not all Swede, really not my cup of tea. If you want to ship a bottle to your American cousin, best friend, free of course, I’m a qualified quasi wine judge and I’ll tell you it’s great, ha ha. By the way and I'm sure Hippie probably already asked this question a dozen times why doesn't icon "****" appear and what does it all mean? Does this mean Bob is even censoring his own site? ha ha oh help me up. "****"
                Last edited by Guest; 13-02-2007, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Don’t fret Jimmy, I followed Bob’s recipe to the letter, my tinned (canned) strawberry wine had added sugar and nutrient at the beginning. I believe David was referring to the possible addition of more nutrient in the final stages of the fermentation if it shows signs of struggling.

Re Temp.- The primary bucket is in my cylinder cupboard where it is nice and warm, every wine I have ever made has begun life in my cylinder cupboard!
                  Boo

Comment

Sticking with tinned fruit, I noticed in Morrisons this morning they have large-ish tins of Lychee at a low price.

Anyone made a wine from Lychee? can it be done?

Boo

Comment

Should be fine. With that much vitamin C (ascorbic acid), probably won't have to worry about oxidation before getting the ferment going well.
                      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I just found this-

Looks easy enough, I am going to try a gallon next week.
                        Boo

Comment

Ooo, I love lychees, any wine from them should be yummeee. Unfortunately we haven't got a Morrison's nearby so I'll have to rely on you to tell me how it turned out.
                          Let's party

Comment

My tinned strawberry has now moved to DJ, still bubbling well. My peach and apricot is now on the go in the primary- lovely smell, I added just a touch more citric acid than the recipe called for, me likes a firm streak of acid
                            Boo

Comment

Be careful with the citric acid. If you happen to get a spontaneous malolactic fermentation in the wine, you could end up with high volatile acidity, which can lead to a vinegar taste. Be sure the sulphite level is good.
                              REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Will do hippie, I didnt go crazy, just a tsp and a half, usually only add one. I just gave it a stir, it tastes fine at the mo, very lively though, it looks like there's a family of frogs at the bottom of the bucket with all the bubbles rising and popping through the cap!
                                Boo

Comment

Working...
                                X