Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry Wine

Anyone got a good recipe?

Oh sure, see how ya are! Win the berries over there and then come over here looking for a recipe! I bet you asked over there first, didn't you? LMAO......that's OK Jojo. The forums are compatible with one another, although I gotta say, this one is more like Vista and that one more like XP SP1. hehehe......anyway......

I bet there are some very English types here somewhere who can help!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
      Anyone got a good recipe?
      here you go
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM.
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

See...told ya so!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hey jojo
          I moved this thread to here as it appeared as a though it was a duplicate post in the recipe section, and wanted to leave just recipes there

hope the recipes are of use to you, the elderberries are a real pain to pick and especially to destalk, but the resulting wine is worth the effort

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Hey jojo
            I moved this thread to here as it appeared as a though it was a duplicate post in the recipe section, and wanted to leave just recipes there

hope the recipes are of use to you, the elderberries are a real pain to pick and especially to destalk, but the resulting wine is worth the effort

regards
            Bob
            Use a fork to destalk - dead easy
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I read somewhere (Winepress I think) ) that they would destalk easier if frozen. The load I have in the freezer I picked when they were very very ripe and i used plastic gloves and just rubbed them in my hand while attached to the tree still, they just fell off into my buckets.

Plastic gloves= the type they provide at petrol stations at diesel pumps.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Would be nice, but they don't provide such here! To think you Brits are a rude bunch is an outrage! Then again, we only imagine our gas and diesel prices are high. At the price you guys pay, they damm well better supply the gloves!

I would just as soon use the dried elderberries offered at most winemaking supply shops. Much easier, less hassle, etc. I add a 4 oz. pack of them to most of my reds. Can't hurt!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

The prices are on the way down again (marginally)

it's about $1.75 to $1.85 per litre
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Going up around here. Forecourts taking advantage of unwanted additives I expect, though none crept in in this area
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Lockwood, elderberries are easy now. Freeze them, knock them loose and run them down a rough OSB board to sort out the little twigs. Any green gunk is washed off with vegetable oil and then soap and water. I got a webpage devoted to them in my sig. Over here in the states 2 new varieties are being tried called the Wyldewoods, looks like they even out produced the standard Euro Nigra varieties, at least over in the midwest. CrackedCork
                      WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                        Oh sure, see how ya are! Win the berries over there and then come over here looking for a recipe! I bet you asked over there first, didn't you? LMAO......that's OK Jojo. The forums are compatible with one another, although I gotta say, this one is more like Vista and that one more like XP SP1. hehehe......anyway......

I bet there are some very English types here somewhere who can help!

Yep, I met up with Roy yesterday. Wow, do these look great. At first I didn't want to put them in the freezer.

16 lbs. is either a great 5 gallon or even greater 3 gallon batch I figure.

The wheels are turning. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
                          Lockwood, elderberries are easy now. Freeze them, knock them loose and run them down a rough OSB board to sort out the little twigs. Any green gunk is washed off with vegetable oil and then soap and water. I got a webpage devoted to them in my sig. Over here in the states 2 new varieties are being tried called the Wyldewoods, looks like they even out produced the standard Euro Nigra varieties, at least over in the midwest. CrackedCork
                          Howdy CrackedCork -

I checked out your web page. That's an awesome setup you got there.
                          The berries I won came already picked clean and bagged. I can only imagine how much work it was. I am curious if there are big differences in the soil between here and where you live. If yes, would this have any effect on the amount of acid in the berries. I guess the only way to know is to test. I was surprised to learn that they grow here in Colorado. The winters are long and the temperature gets low in January and February.

Comment

JoJo, I have no idea what terrior does to elderberries Take a TA reading and start from there. I would suggest making 5 gallons, it will be drinkable in less than a year, if you made 3 gallons it might take a while before you can drink it. CrackedCork
                            WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post

Right on Cork-- the elderberry wiz-- DAW

Comment

Working...
                              X