Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pectolase, Citric & Tannic Acid

Hi guys,

I've been making wines from fruit juice since I started a short while ago, and had some success - Grapefruit in particular was a high point, Red Grape was strong but drinkable. However, my Apple & Elderflower appeared to have finished off and tonight I thought I'd add some pectrolase as it was cloudy and....boom! One wet tea-towel and foamy DJ later, lesson learned! I always add this at the start of the must but should I stabilise before adding any more?

Also, I now have a Blueberry DJ in secondary and a Purple Grape in Primary. I have not added any acids to either, would you recommend I do so? Both have had just pectrolase, nutrients and the yeast, would they benefit from either citric or tannic acids due to the fruit types?

Originally posted by mav617 View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been making wines from fruit juice since I started a short while ago, and had some success - Grapefruit in particular was a high point, Red Grape was strong but drinkable. However, my Apple & Elderflower appeared to have finished off and tonight I thought I'd add some pectrolase as it was cloudy and....boom! One wet tea-towel and foamy DJ later, lesson learned! I always add this at the start of the must but should I stabilise before adding any more?

Also, I now have a Blueberry DJ in secondary and a Purple Grape in Primary. I have not added any acids to either, would you recommend I do so? Both have had just pectrolase, nutrients and the yeast, would they benefit from either citric or tannic acids due to the fruit types?

For the first question regarding pectalose, probably best to leave it alone for a week or so, maybe more, it'll clear in time. Too much dabbling is'nt good. Let us know if still the same in a couple of weeks.

As for the second question, supermarket juices are usually well ballanced, so normally all should be well.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Cheers Duffman, I'll leave well alone for this.

Comment

Originally posted by mav617 View Post
        I thought I'd add some pectrolase as it was cloudy and....boom! One wet tea-towel and foamy DJ later, lesson learned!
        Always add these things to a little of the wine, stir well, and then introduce to the DemiJon

I have not added any acids to either, would you recommend I do so? Both have had just pectrolase, nutrients and the yeast, would they benefit from either citric or tannic acids due to the fruit types?
        How do they taste?

if they are a little bland some citric or Tartaric acid may be a good addition, add a little at a time, and taste as you go

Tannic acid?
        I think you may be getting tartaric acid and tannin mixed up....

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
        X