First One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First One

Right tomorrow i'm doing my first fresh fruit wine,blackberry.I am going to be doing it by adding boiling water to the fruit to kill any nasties instead of adding campden then topping up to 5lt with cold water.I am going to add sultanas also to give more body,how many do you need per 4.5lt and how many points does it add to the must so that I dont overdo the added sugar and end up with the must reading more than 1085/90,and what about the blackberries is there a certain amount that makes the best wine for 5lt.
    Thanks yul

Will I need to add citric acidto the blackberry wine.
    Thanks yul

Comment

I would not use boiling water or citric acid.

Have you checked the blackberry wine recipes here?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
        I would not use boiling water or citric acid.

Have you checked the blackberry wine recipes here?

Agreed with the rebel. Raisins are also not generally necessary; blackberries on their own will produce a great red wine. If you insist on addition try a citric fruit like raspberries they blend well together.

Also a suggestion to prevent a bitter flavour in the wine do not exceed 4 days of the pulp fermentation in the fermenting must; if you do the seeda have a tendency to break apart and impart the bitterness. For the water keep the temperature at 180 degrees F approx - the fruit can be soaked in this but not boiling or boiled on the stove in the water. If you have a plastic primary fermenter careful with the direct hot water addition - some plastics are not made for hot things. Cheers Good luck with the blackberries - it is near the best of berry wines according to my taste anyway. DAW

Right tomorrow i'm doing my first fresh fruit wine,blackberry.I am going to be doing it by adding boiling water to the fruit to kill any nasties instead of adding campden then topping up to 5lt with cold water.I am going to add sultanas also to give more body,how many do you need per 4.5lt and how many points does it add to the must so that I dont overdo the added sugar and end up with the must reading more than 1085/90,and what about the blackberries is there a certain amount that makes the best wine for 5lt.
        Thanks yul

Comment

Thanks all much appreciated.I,m going to go with 4lb of blackberries only and sugar for 5lt using the campden method.I'll let you know how I go.

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
            Also a suggestion to prevent a bitter flavour in the wine do not exceed 4 days of the pulp fermentation in the fermenting must; if you do the seeda have a tendency to break apart and impart the bitterness. according to my taste anyway. DAW
            Thats interesting ime just doing 4 gallons of blackberry (my first blackberry)atm(camden tablet in place as we speak) was about to leave for 7 days on pulp but didnt realise the seeds will dissipate so 4 days for me,thnx
            i wasnt planning to use raisins neither just plain old blackberries ,with a few pound of bilberries as well.Question after 4 days is it going to be too lively to demijon or would it be better to strain seeds etc and maybe ferment in the container, for a few more days, Because if its too lively it may froth up into the fermentation lock.
            Last edited by jake47; 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Likely will still have to remain in the primary fermenter. SG should be 1.020-1.030 before you rack to glass carboy. Cheers to both I am sure it will work out well for both of you. DAW

Comment

Stockeydaw said - Also a suggestion to prevent a bitter flavour in the wine do not exceed 4 days of the pulp fermentation in the fermenting must; if you do the seeda have a tendency to break apart and impart the bitterness.

Well I just finished crushing adding water and campden tab,im now going to leave it 24hours before adding pectin then leave it another 24hours before adding nutrient and yeast,what I want to know is does this initial 2 days count as part of the 4 days thats said above.

Comment

No this bit doesnt count....

4 days of pulp fermentation...

that cant start till after the yeast is added, and active ferment has begun. You may however wish to make a yeast starter now, so that it is going well and will work quicker when added

see info here on preparing yeast starters
                  All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in

You can add the nutrients and pectolase now (you are adding pectoilase not Pectin, the pectolase breaks down the pectin)

then only need to wait 24 hours before adding the yeast.
                  Last edited by lockwood1956; 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Pectoilase thats the one,I've also got a packet of super enzyme that came free with my filter is that the same thing.Ok added the pectoliase now ready for the yeast tomorrow.
                    Thanks,
                    yul

Comment

Yup same thing yul, super enzyme is just a slightly better performer than pectolase,
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Right on all! Yep Yul after you have pitched the yeast wait the four days of fermentation then insuring all is clean - hands, stainless steel sieve etc. remove the strainer bag of fruit or the fruit floating on the top depending on how you are doing it and squeeze lightly to get all that great juice back in the fermenter. Then wait till the SG is at the appropriate reading as mentioned above. You will then be ready to rack into the glass primary with air lock. DAW

Comment

I added 1 3/4 pound of sugar to my must, if it did not reach the sg that I require 1090 is there a method of working out how much additional sugar that would be required to get it to the level that I require from where it is now, without doing it by adding a bit of sugar test adding a bit more test again.
                          thanks,
                          yul

Comment

Originally posted by yul View Post
                            I added 1 3/4 pound of sugar to my must, if it did not reach the sg that I require 1090 is there a method of working out how much additional sugar that would be required to get it to the level that I require from where it is now, without doing it by adding a bit of sugar test adding a bit more test again.
                            thanks,
                            yul
                            This website is for sale! home-winemaking.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, home-winemaking.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I would think that there must be a table some where within the forum that gives you that information - do the search thing. the attached link gives you the necessary information. I find that just what you said add a cup then measure add another cup and measure - it works and you can manage that way just fine. In any event if you use the table you will be checking to see if it is right before you proceed anyway. Cheers DAW

Comment

Originally posted by yul View Post
                              if it did not reach the sg that I require 1090 is there a method of working out how much additional sugar that would be required to get it to the level that I require from where it is now, without doing it by adding a bit of sugar test adding a bit more test again.
                              thanks,
                              yul

what is the SG now...and how big a batch is it?
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X