Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right, as promised - 1st attempt at Plum Wine....Does this sound right to you guys??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update and a few questions............

Right, here's an update!!!! (finally)

The second batch is now fermented out (Start - 1.088, finish 0.996),stabilised and under safety bungs in the shed. It also appears to be clearing believe it or not!!!

The first batch is also under safety bungs, but does not appear to be clearing.....now, the only major differences between the first and second batches is that 1) The 2nd batch i put all of the plums in a straining bag during primary, whereas i didnt on the first batch(just shoved them straight in to the bucket) and 2) The 2nd batch i made sure that the sugar syrup was completely cold (as opposed to warm) before adding to the must. Everything else has been identical.

Now, here's the question - is it a good chance that the 1st patch isnt clearing due to a pectin haze?? in which case, is it worth adding some pectolase at the next racking?

Oh, just thought of one other difference, 1st batch used white grape concentrate & topped up with white grape juice.
    The 2nd batch i used red grape concentrate and red grape juice to top up
    Will try to take a coupe of photos in a bit and upload them.

Cheers for any advice!!!

Dave.
    Last edited by DaveH; 30-09-2007, 09:36 AM. Reason: added info.....
    "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

How much pectolase did you add to the first batch?

time is your friend here, You dont need to be in a hurry to do anything.

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Right here we go....

See if i can post these pictures. There's 5 in total, 2 each of batch 1 and 2, and a comparison photo
        Attached Files
        "There are 10 types of people who understand Binary; those that do and those that don't.........."

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          How much pectolase did you add to the first batch?

time is your friend here, You dont need to be in a hurry to do anything.

regards
          Bob
          The same amount to both batches Bob, 2 tsp per gallon.

Comment

I would think about adding some pectolase to batch 1, at that point you could rack it from the lees present and make sure its degassed (I know I'm obsessed) at that time.

or....

you could wait a little while longer and see what happens (probably the best course of action)

or....

you can test for the presence of Pectin...take a small sample of the wine and add to it some methylated spirits, shake the snot out of the sample and leave to stand, if stringy strands and globs appear (within 10 Min's) you have pectin present.. if so then add more pectolase. (throw the test sample away ...of course)

hope this helps
            regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thanks Bob - will maybe leave it until i rack it next and see where we go from there - take it the 1st batch will be ok until then? I just asked the question as it seemed a little strange that the process etc was exactly the same, bar the differences listed earlier.

Am i correct in saying that the 2nd batch is 'clearing' though? To me the fluid at the top of the DJ is noticeably less cloudy than the bottom.

As an aside, the tinned strawberry is clearing lovely!!!

Dave.

Comment

Yes all is progressing well, 2nd batch looks well on the way to clearing, 1st batch will take no harm just sitting.

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Very good advice.

Interesting colors in both.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Right, here we are some 2 months later........

And things are starting to look a little bit better

The 6 gallons (3 white / 3 rose) are now under safety airlock again after racking off the sediment. Both are now crystal clear, after adding ritchies quick clear finings and letting them do their thing.

As you can see, it's made a bit of a difference

Just need to let them age a good bit in the D/J's now!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking good there Dave.
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                      X