Devise a recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devise a recipe

I want to make a wine from tinned blackberries & fresh apples. I have 3 tins at 300g net of blackberries including juice, apples and raisins if needed, with tannin and citric acid.
    Can anyone help me out on devising a recipe for 1 gallon please as I have no idea on how much apples to use and whether or knot I need to boil them first or just cut up small and put into fermenter with blackberries and what additions of tannin & citric if needed. Unless if anyone knows of a recipe flying around for tinned blackberries & fresh apples.

I'd shoot for a kilo (or so) of fruit. So, if you have 300 grams of blackberries, go for 700 grams of apples.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
      I'd shoot for a kilo (or so) of fruit. So, if you have 300 grams of blackberries, go for 700 grams of apples.
      I agree, maybe add 500g of raisins for a little body (grape concentrate would be better) , de core and crush the apples for better extraction, maybe just a tad of tannin, as for acid not sure, I know apples are high in malic acid so maybe 1/2 tsp tartaric and 1/2 tsp citric.
      Don't jump in yet though see what others suggest.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

well, I think the blackberries will give it enough body. Paired with apples, you'll tone down the acid that they usually have. I'd add the tannin, pectic enzyme (a must!!), and easy on the acid. Nutrient, energizer, and the "normal" stuff you add to a wine.

Follow the directions on the bottles of each component, and you should be fine.

What I like to do is boil the water, put about 1/2 kilo sugar in it, pour it over the fruit, let it cool, add a crushed campden, and pectic enzyme. Let it sit overnight, add the rest of the ingredients the next day. Use your hydrometer to get to an specific gravity of about 1.085ish by adding sugar the next day. (1. it's cooled off, and you'll get a correct reading, and 2. you'll be able to reproduce it easier if you really like the recipe.)

This is how I'd do it, but then again, there are more experienced fruit-winemakers here.

Danina

Comment

Do I need to peel the apples.

Comment

I don't but others may
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

No, you don't have to. Like Duffbeer said, you should take out the core with all the seeds.

Then you're ready to go.

Comment

I made a gallon of blackberry back in June this year from canned (tinned, over there) blackberries. I used 2 16 oz. cans, that's about 454g per can x 2 = 908g, I then used a qt of grape juice and finished the jug up with water. I've racked it twice now and when I racked the last time I took a couple of ounces out for a taste. I used to love to watch a game show called "Family Fued" with that Britsh actor Richard Dawson, he would say "And the survey says", OK> back to the wine sample "And the survey says "Where is the blackberry taste"? I want too try another one later on and use 4 cans or go with frozen and canned mixed maybe. I don't think that none of the store bought ones will ever come up with the taste that wild ones around here have.

Comment

Well al done, 3 tins
                  blackberries,500g apples all I had 270 raisins all I had, eighth of tannin half citric acid.
                  Thanks great help from you all.

Comment

All the above advice is good. What yeast are you/have you pitched? Lalvin 71B-1122 would be great for this wine, if you can get it.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I got a packet of youngs burgundy red,but I can always have a trip down the hbs to see if they have got any lalvin.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't go much out of the way to obtain the 71B. Not sure what exact strain the burgundy red is. Should be fine. For sure, if you use it this time and in the time being get the 71B to use next time, it could serve as a good exercise in yeast strain characteristics.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                        X