Any way to identify my grape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to identify my grape?

I have a grapevine at my allotment, it was well established when I got it. I think it's a wine grape ans they are small black grapes but I have no idea what variety it is. Is there a way to tell the variety or am I stuck with plain old random grape wine?

on a side note I took 12 cuttings last autumn and have 8 healthy new plants
    David
    Wine making noob

Any chance of some pictures ? some of the grape guys might be able to identify them.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Is it an actual vine on a trellis, or more bush-like?

If it looks more like a bush, they could be blackcurrants. They look like grapes, but are small and black, as you mention.
      Steve

Comment

Lol no I am a keen gardener, this is a grape vine. When I say the grapes are small, I mean they are not as large as dessert grapes. I dont have any pics of the grapes themselves as last year they all rotted. It was an awful summer for us, very wet. I can take some pics of the leaves on my cuttings and post later if thats what you mean, but the main vine is still dormant.
        David
        Wine making noob

Comment

You could try the RHS at Wisley - they're good at identifying plants. You might have to wait until you've got some fruit though.
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

...or leaves to identify.

Probably be easier if you just name them. You can then name the wine made from them. Maybe Spudbinx or something.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
              ...or leaves to identify.

Probably be easier if you just name them. You can then name the wine made from them. Maybe Spudbinx or something.

Lol, Spudbinx grapes... Could catch on.

Unfortunately my cuttings from the montepulciano don't look like they've done anything. Still early though this far north.

Comment

Rich,
                you wont see anything from those cuttings till at least April, more likely May

David,
                This is the European Grape variety database, if you take measurements of the berries and look at leaf pics in the database it may help.

There have been Cabernet vines on sale in the UK the last few years, but the most widely planted vine was Hamburg, but there are many varieties available these days.

Rondo is one of the newer ones, you can tell if its Rondo as it grows like a triffid.

the Grape database is cumbersome to navigate, but it's a great resource

hope this helps
                regards
                Bob
                Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-03-2008, 09:47 PM.
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

The below link is the plant hardiness zone map for the British Isles. If you can find what hardiness the grape varieties that will grow in you area are you may be able to come close to the one(s) that you have growing at your location? Only a thought. Cheers Daw

The plant hardiness zone map of the British Isles is the most detailed ever to be created for this region

Comment

Hey man it looks like muscadines and scuppernongs would grow very well over there !

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                    X