Vernon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vernon

Vernon started life in Cleveland Ohio, he now lives in a vine pot in my garden, having travelled across the Atlantic
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Cute little guy.

Concord? Catawba?
    Steve

Comment

Nevermind. Just saw a thread elsewhere.

Catawba.
      Steve

Comment

Is that legal ?

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
          Is that legal ?
          I would think so. After all, he's living in a pot, not smoking it.
          Steve

Comment

Rofl :d
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Catawba!!!!

And, I carried him with tlc to the UK in my hand luggage, which was looked through 3 times before I got there.

He's soooooo happy in the UK, for he knows, he's "home."

M.
              Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
              Twitter: VirtualWineO
              Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Is that legal ?

Hum? exactly what I thought!
                Originally posted by Danina View Post
                Catawba!!!!

And, I carried him with tlc to the UK in my hand luggage, which was looked through 3 times before I got there.

He's soooooo happy in the UK, for he knows, he's "home."

M.
                Not sure that I'd admit doing that. I know that there's little or no problems moving "agricultural materials" within the EU, but the rules are rather different for intercontinental movements i.e. fungi, plant virii, etc etc.

I'm sure it's OK with the appropriate licensing, but I'm thinking along the lines of "after the correct testing/screening" for potential "nasties".

You only have to note how obsessed "they" are with moving things into the US or Australia to see where I'm going with this.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and with any luck, Vernon V. Vine should be nice and happy once he (?) has had a season or two in the ground. Are these ones very temperature sensitive ? or does Bob chuck it inside/under glass during the cold seasons (down south is best - Yorkshire gets overly wet/cold for my liking )?.
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

OMG !!! All kinds of nasty microorganisms could have made their way over to UK from the states. This could be the beginning of a major agricultural disaster !!!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

haha

All vines in ?Europe are on American rootstock, so there aren't any "issues" that I'm aware of

here comes the geekyness:

In 1855 all of the vines in Europe were being attacked by Phyloxera, an aphid like creature that eats the roots and kills the vine, native American vines are resistant to Phyloxera, so European vines were grafted onto this rootstock, and so to this day the practise remains the same.

On a further note of Interest......

The conquistadors took vines to South America when they sailed there, and the Phyloxera louse is not prevalent in Argentina and Chile, so wines from these regions are grown on vines that are original European stock....maybe thats why wines from these regions are sooooooo yummy

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Geek!!!!!
                      Discount Home Brew Supplies
                      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                      National Wine Judge
                      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

OMG !!! All kinds of nasty microorganisms could have made their way over to UK from the states. This could be the beginning of a major agricultural disaster !!!

IQA! but that seems to be exactly the view taken by the "authorities" like the USDA etc
                        Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        haha

All vines in ?Europe are on American rootstock, so there aren't any "issues" that I'm aware of

here comes the geekyness:

In 1855 all of the vines in Europe were being attacked by Phyloxera, an aphid like creature that eats the roots and kills the vine, native American vines are resistant to Phyloxera, so European vines were grafted onto this rootstock, and so to this day the practise remains the same.

On a further note of Interest......

The conquistadors took vines to South America when they sailed there, and the Phyloxera louse is not prevalent in Argentina and Chile, so wines from these regions are grown on vines that are original European stock....maybe thats why wines from these regions are sooooooo yummy

regards
                        Bob
                        Yup, I'd read about that as well, though I'm not convinced about South American wines being sooooooooo yummy. Good, yes, but I've not yet found any (tried mainly Chilean ones) that are completely to my taste (ditto Australian ones - though there's been a few from Penfolds that come damned close).

Perhaps you could explain what's special about Mr V.V. Vine Bob?

regards

JtFB
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

He belonged to Martina, he is a Catawba, and she passed him along to me for safe keeping, as she has moved to Germany

The Australian reds are made "fruity" by the lowering of the PH before fermentation begins, the PH is then re-adjusted by acid reduction methods after ferment, either cold stabilisation, or chemical means, or both.

Try An Argentinian Malbec, from the mednoza area, I just think they are yummy, also Cab Sauv seems to do well in Chile

http://www.tesco.com/winestore/contr...tina&R=3734026
                          Last edited by lockwood1956; 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Catawba should do just fine over there. They're in the v. labrusca family, which includes Concord and Niagara grapes. All are relatively cold hardy varieties.

As for Vernon being a carrier of unwanted organisms, well, our two countries have traded enough flora and fauna back and forth over the last five centuries, that it's unlikely Vernon has anything new to offer.

By the way, if I haven't done so before, I'd like to thank the Europeans for those dandelions that seem to be quickly spreading across my yard this weekend.
                            Steve

Comment

Well when he is a big boy, I intend to take cuttings and graft my vines onto Catawba rootstock (more geekyness)
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X