Bud Burst!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bud Burst!!

It's that time of year again, spent the weekend tidying up and hoeing around the vines, securing the nets (bloody birds!)
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Well I wonder if it's "a grape thing" ?

Or that it often gets warmer down here earlier?

Cos we haven't got any grapes but our 6 new apple/pear trees have had flowers on them for a week or so, the raspberries have flowered, as have the blueberries. The gooseberries even have small fruit showing.

The rest i.e. black and red currants have been "leafing up" for a couple of weeks.

Weird!

I'll have to have a look if any of the local vineyards are leafing up yet? I think they might be.

Well done though Bob, nicely set up.

What's a good harvest ? i.e. how much weight produces how much juice ?

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Must be the North/South divide...

My Rasps have leaves, but no flowers at all. Same with the gooseberry bushes. The couple of vines that are outside have very small buds. The cuttings in the greenhouse have bigger shoots, and one inside has about 3 inches of shoots!

Comment

Ok that'd make sense, perhaps it might be affected by the easterly thing as well i.e. when it blows a bit, east anglia area get's damn cold, to I'm thinking that it might be like that regularly in parts of yorkshire - well reducing the temp enough to tell the vines not to bud/sprout yet!

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

13 to 16lbs of grapes produces 1 gallon of wine (depends on juice yield)
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
          X